??? for Vinny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? for Vinny

I've got a question, when you wen't from drum brakes to disc's on the rear, did you have to add a prop valve for the brakes, upgrade to a different master cylinder, did you have to make any brake sys tem moddifications? The only reason I'm asking is I'm converting my 66 GMC truck from drums to disc's and I having to upgrade master cylinders, prop valves, along w/ spindles in the front, so I was just curious.

Thanks Tony
    06' Ion 2
    09' WRX

...The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion... Einstein

on a saturn no other mod is necessary. just discs, calipers, and e-brake cables.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I still have the stock drums in the rear actually, but the rear beam is out of a Redline.

to answer your question though, I'd look at possibly having to swap to a Redline master cylinder since it comes stock with 4 wheel discs. proportioning valves should be alright since most of the brake hardware is the same on both models.

as of right now the only option is to convert all corners to a Redline/Cobalt SS/SC hub and then swap the brakes over. I want to retain my 4x100 hub so I'm not swapping to these at this time. I looked at fitting a set of front calipers and rotors to the back, and the only issue is the lack of an emergency brake provision.

I have heard through the grapevine that the new Cobalts will have rear disc, and I bet dollars to donuts that it will continue to have a 4x100 hub. it might be worth waiting to see if a wrecked one shows up at a yard and see what we can pull from it. we'd be able to see if the master cylinder is the same as well and figure out how much would need to be moved over for the retrofit.
      -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by ExHempKnight
        on a saturn no other mod is necessary. just discs, calipers, and e-brake cables.
        not on the Ion platform
        -Vinny

Comment

very cool thanks Vinny. I'll just start looking at the yards when I go lOoking for truck stuff

Thanks Again
          06' Ion 2
          09' WRX

...The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion... Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
            Originally posted by ExHempKnight
            not on the Ion platform
            gotcha. saw what his car was after the fact. sorry for butting in.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

it's all good. if it was an s-series it would be worlds different, and the rear disc kit in my closet would have been on a while ago lol
              -Vinny

Comment

I still say with a bracket and maybe new line, you could swap the S rear's onto the crappy ION rear end [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
                  I still say with a bracket and maybe new line, you could swap the S rear's onto the crappy ION rear end [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]
                  I really don't think that's worth the time it would need to accomplish it
                  -Vinny

Comment