BRAKES........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRAKES........

I was wondering if the brake disc on the front are the same as the rear on a 93 sc2? wanting to get a full set of drilled and slotted rotors with hps pads...

no rears are different

Comment

rears are smaller and not vented.

Comment

Slotted rotors are ok, but stay clear of the drilled rotors. Drilled rotors are more prone to breaking and have considerably less surface area which = less friction = worse braking.

Comment

friction is a funtion of force applied over an area. By decreasing the surface area of witch the pad is applied, the pressure on the pad that does touch rotor increases...therefor making the same amount of friction.

A 10kg mass touching a table over 1cm X 1cm area has the same amount of friction as the same 10kg but applied over 10cm X 10cm area.

Cross drilling is fine as long as it is in moderation. Its the cheap rotors that have lots of drilling that are crap. There isn't enough material left to absord heat under demanding usage (road racein/auto cross) and they tend to warp more eaisly too.

If you do get drilled rotors, youcan get he sloted/drilled ones that have like 1/2-1/3 the amount of driling that a fully drilled rotor will have.
          -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
          1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
          1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Some good brake info here....you might want to read it before you make your decision....

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.html

An excerpt from another forum...
            "CGGorman02-11-2005, 07:43 AM
            I'm about to throw away my SECOND set of drille/slotted rotors in a period of about 8 months. My first set were from CCRotorworks. I got them Ebay. They lasted one day before cracking and warping...BADLY. Second set was/is from PowerStop. They cost twice as much as the CCRotorworks ones and they are Brembo castings. After about 8 months, they are cracked all over the place and slightly warped. They make a growling noise coming down from 65mph and vibrate the pedal some. I'm going to replace them with EBC dimpled rotors. I like the look of the drilled rotors, but I can't take any more of this crap.

My vote? Run away screaming."

I just did a Google search on this and there literally hundreds of sites out there all saying the same thing. Blank rotors (like the OEM) are the best, but slotted rotors are good if you are getting high brake temps over extended periods of time. Stay away from the crossdrilled....if they were so good then NASCAR, F1, GT would be using them...but they don't. Crossdrilled rotors don't have as much material to absorb heat either so they tend to get brake fade easier. If you really want the look of crossdrilled rotors they make ones that are not drilled through all the way called "dimpled rotors".

Comment

Well.. what does NASCAR, F1, and GT use? Blank? Slotted?
              - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

Slotted brakes are the way to go if you will be driving hard for extended periods of time like at a track. For everyday use and/or autocross you can use slotted or blanks.

Comment

Nascar uses blanks, and LeMans GT and GTS class cars are allowed to use slotted, which most of them do. But the Audi R10 (the diesel that won last year) uses blanks because of the weight of the car. I can honestly say, Saturn rotors are cheap enough, just use blanks. The autocross, drag and street guys are. I mean, how expensive is $90 every 6 months for all four rotors? And I drive HARD. Prolly not as hard as Budman, but my car is also DDed.

Comment

I run slotted powerslots with hawk hps pads and SS braided brake lines on project turbo bitch, and those thigns work great. As a matter of fact i have to pick up the same setup again for my DD wagon. So, if you find somewhere that has great prices let me know!

Comment

as far as slotted rotors go... does it matter which way the slots are angled when you install the discs??
                      -Kevin<br /><br />&quot;Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!&quot;<br /><br />

Comment

not really. some brands say which side they are for, and some don't. unless it is stated on the rotor its not really going to matter.
                        -Vinny

Comment

I have seen the arguement. Basically people say it works the same, one pushes the dust out, one pushes it in.

Comment

I've been running cheapo JC Whitney drilled and slotted rotors for 3 or 4 years now. No problems from mine.
                            I guess it's a crap shoot.
                            LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
                            visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment