WTF brakes smoking (pics added)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF brakes smoking (pics added)

ok, so i just installed brand new brake discs. (by the way, thanks again, Tek), and everything seems in order. no rattles, squeaks or anything like that. but...
    the front brakes smoke like mad when i brake hard, and still a little bit under soft braking. i'm letting them cool off right now, before i take a look, but right now, i'm kinda worried.

the only thing i can think is that i only used brake cleaner on the front pads, and not the back. the front brakes are the only ones smoking. burning off the residual cleaner maybe?? i hope so!

HELP!!!
    -Kevin<br /><br />&quot;Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!&quot;<br /><br />

just got off the phone with the midas guy. he had me go try and spin the wheel/brake disc, with the car lifted, to see if one of the calipers was stuck. it spun freely, and as i said before, there was no abnormal noise.

then he asked if i cleaned the discs before i put them on. DOH! i put them on with factory and garage dust all over them. i wiped them with a clean shop towel, but that was it. maybe i shoulda really cleaned them first. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/BangHead.gif[/img]
    -Kevin<br /><br />&quot;Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!&quot;<br /><br />

Comment

well then it should go away after awhile.

Comment

and if the pads are new theyll smoke untill everything brakes in [no pun]
        after about a week they shoudlnt fade anymore
        brake pads will ignite if they get hot enough
        dont get into a situation where youll need to brake hard till after a few days of normal braking
        sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
        - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
        ~The Used

Comment

rule of thumb when installing rotors is to clean the shit out of them with degreaser. a lot of them come oiled up when shipped as to not be rusted when you get them. I dont' think I have to explain why oiled rotors would not let you stop as fast as clean ones. that's why they're smoking. I'd take each wheel off and spray it down with cleaner again liberally, then wipe what you can clean.
          -Vinny

Comment

yeah, i knew i shoulda cleaned them. i'm just lazy and forgetful. anyway, went out and sprayed/wiped real good, and now theres no smoke, and the smell is much less potent. i'll work on breaking them in tomorrow.

Comment

pics!!

Comment

sexay!

clean your rims [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_razz.gif[/img]
                2015 Ford Mustang - DD
                2013 Kia Sorento SX V6
                1978 Buick Century Custom - 42k Original Miles

Comment

i got a couple more things goin on this weekend, then i'll give her a bath Tek. thanks for the discs. you still got the exhaust dump?

Comment

Should have painted the calipers while you were in there

Comment

Originally posted by SonicION
                      i got a couple more things goin on this weekend, then i'll give her a bath Tek. thanks for the discs. you still got the exhaust dump?
                      Sure do. Just let me know.
                      2015 Ford Mustang - DD
                      2013 Kia Sorento SX V6
                      1978 Buick Century Custom - 42k Original Miles

Comment

you should be smakced for letting it get that dirty in the first place... and for pads i recommend the Wagner 1028 semi-m pads

Comment

they're not that dirty, asshole! jfwy. my camera jut made it look green in the second pic. i dunno why. plus, it's been raining every day here, and i live on a dirt road

Comment

Those rotors look hawt!

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Bob
                              Should have painted the calipers while you were in there
                              +1
                              1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment