water cooled turbo install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water cooled turbo install.

hey im just wondering what anyone else has done for water cooling on their turbos? at first i was thinking you could just use an Auto radiator and use the transmission cooling lines but im not positive on that anyone car to give some input on this?
    1998 SC2 - Blue - Turbo Project
    2001 Boxster - Grey - Daily and unfortunately for dealer "under warranty"

I'm not sure if it's ever been done on an S car. Making the flange to fit a water cooled turbo would be the challenge IIRC.

Pretty much all of us just run oil only turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Comment

well from the looks of it all the flanges are the same i just have what would be essentially 2 more oil lines for water everything ive looked up basically just puts a T into a cooling pipe somewhere and runs the return back to before the radiator

Comment

I had a water cooled turbo on my wagon. Never hooked water up.

I was going to go off of the lowest coolant reservoir hose. It's a threaded fitting that screwed into the block by the water pump, and the heater hose coming off of the intake manifold, it's also a threaded fitting.

The water pump would pull coolant through the turbo from the intake manifold, and it wouldn't require cutting and splicing hoses.
        72 Charger: pissed me off, on jackstands.
        95 SW1m: Dohc swap. DD. I can haz boost?

Comment

thank you, and from your comment does that mean the water system isnt critical to the turbo? i figured it would be for cooling but if not i may just leave it unhooked fo rthe first install

Comment

Originally posted by heartfire567 View Post
            thank you, and from your comment does that mean the water system isnt critical to the turbo? i figured it would be for cooling but if not i may just leave it unhooked fo rthe first install
            Supposedly it will coke the turbo bearings and cause it he turbo to leak/fail.

It's best to hook them up if you care about the turbo.

All that being said. I ran one uncooled on my wagon for a year. Then it sat on a shelf for a year. Now it's been on my Diesel Datsun for a year and a half, still uncooled, but it does leak oil into the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by siris View Post
              Supposedly it will coke the turbo bearings and cause it he turbo to leak/fail.

It's best to hook them up if you care about the turbo.

All that being said. I ran one uncooled on my wagon for a year. Then it sat on a shelf for a year. Now it's been on my Diesel Datsun for a year and a half, still uncooled, but it does leak oil into the intake.
              Hm i guess ill just hook it up incase then. im still curious bout my auto radiator theory though seems that would be a simple way to do it aswell and require less hose. I guss im just trying to pretty up the bay with that.

Comment

Without a pump it wouldn't circulate much water. It would rely solely on thermal siphon, which is what happens after shutdown anyways. But it will not cool well while the engine is running.

Comment

mine is water cooled, its inline with the hose from the reservoir down to below the thermostat. got the adapters on ebay a while ago, came with some short stainless lines as well.

Comment

If I was to water cool on an LLO I would just run the return line from the back of the intake manifold to the turbo and then from the turbo back to the reservoir. The pressure from the water pump always moves coolant through that return line.
                    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment