haha noob q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haha noob q

how come i never hear of anyone using the hyperblahblah pistons (the low comp kind) in a turbo build? maybe its just i dont understand the diff of a hyperblahblah piston
    [color=red]-Tyler[/color]<br /><br />2005 Chevy Trailblazer<br />1999 Saturn SL2<br />2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Hyperteutectic pistons are basically the same as stock, they just change the silicone percentage content to try and make a more durable piston. Great for NA or low N2O applications. But if your going high boost you'll need forged goodies to make it last.
    [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

forged are 10000x better/stronger
      those hyperutectic(sp?) are only a little bit stronger than stock
      ill probably be using some stock comp. ones for a turbo engine

Comment

ok i was like what the fuck is the difference! but ok now i know [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/biggrin.gif[/img]
        [color=red]-Tyler[/color]<br /><br />2005 Chevy Trailblazer<br />1999 Saturn SL2<br />2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Comment

^^^ good explinations

basically, because of the increased silicone content, they're stronger but are also brittle. I woudln't run them with boost at all.
          -Vinny

Comment

I was under the impression that stock pistons were hyperutectic [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_scratch.gif[/img]

Comment

they are but not as much(i guess?)
              Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
              I woudln't run them with boost at all.
              I think Mike(SDA) had them in the supercharged car, but i could be wrong

Comment

he has, and he's detonated on them too, but I still don't suggest them to people.
                -Vinny

Comment

Forged pistons are only a buffer.

I run the sohc hyper pistons.
                  07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment

a buffer that helps you not have to rebuild all the time. while stock is not as expensive as a one time cost like forged pistons, if you do it alot, it adds up fast.
                    -teb

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy
                      Forged pistons are only a buffer.

I run the sohc hyper pistons.
                      Using the word buffer seems misleading IMO. It makes it seem like with proper tuning, hypers could hold the same amount of torque as forged; which just isn't true.
                      - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

Not really. Forged pistons are a buffer for the time you are tuning, getting the most power possible out of your engine. You simply cannot do that with cast pistons.

I think that the sealed power pistons can handle 250whp, with a proper tune. Getting to that power level without breaking a piston is the trick. At that level, the rods become questionable too.

in short, run forged pistons if you want power.
                        07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment

So are you saying if you could perfectly tune your setup and had forged rods, you could run stock pistons with 400-500whp or more?
                          - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy
                            run forged pistons if you want power.
                            that be the plan [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_twisted.gif[/img]

Comment

forged pistons (turbo pistons) are built for a turbo motor, ie thicker ring lands and beefyer skirts and tops.
                              http://www.alphatuning.com

Give it a Like! Alpha Tuning on Facebook

Comment