turbo smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo smoke

I got the car back on the road again ..and it still smokes!
    I thru in an engine that didnt smoke and it runs ok untill hard trottle.

then i get lots of heavy light blue smoke.

changed the head...no change.

good compression, well 185-190 across but that should be ok.
    I'm running a 1/4 oil feed line into a 5/16 oil line before the turbo, so would it be getting too much oil and spitting it out the seals?

The turbo and my last engine before I spun a bearing didnt smoke so I cant see the turbo being bad.

OK if the oil seals in the turbo are shot, Wouldnt it smoke all the time?
    90' Talon AWD,TSI, Holset HY-35.

no, it could just be at times of high oil pressure, or low boost so it leaks thru the compressor housing.
    -teb

Comment

turbo is bad.....definetly. the return line is probably not big enough. What size return line are you running...it should be atleast twice the size as feed line.

Comment

Bad oil seals?

Comment

return line is actaully the stock metal return line from the volvo I stole the turbo from. And yes I had it sandblasted and painted, then used V8 heater hose from the volvo metal return line to the flange atached to the oil pan.

OK I took off the turbo inlet hose and found oil trails spiralling out the inlet of the turbo in the same direction as the compressor wheel turns. If you know what I mean? Not alot but there def is some.

I'll check my return line tomorrow for blockage. Other then that sounds like bad seal eh?

Comment

How high is your drain? Mine is right at the top of the oil pan. I use a 10AN (1/2") drain, My first line was kinked just slightly and it smoked like a bitch, replaced the drain w/ no kinks and no smoke.

Comment

yeah if there's too much resistence in your oil return, it'll make hte turbo leak oil.
              are you running with the charge pipe all hooked up and everything?
              -teb

Comment

ya, everything is hooked up..and runnin...and running great when she hits boost, the front wheels break loose and hop! It awsome except for the emberassing blue cloud of smoke behind me.

My drain is more then 1/2 hose, and I just took it off the oil pan and started the car. It took a second or 2, but oil did come out. I took it off and stuffed my flexomagnet thru it and it is clean and clear.

If I take off my charge pipe to the TB wont it overspin?, should I unhook the waste gate so its open ?

And if the turbo needs new seals, it will leak out the compressor side? not the exaust side?

SO.... running without the charge pipe connected to the TB will sho me if its even the turbo thats leaking right?

Just a thought, would a bad oil soaked cat burn blue smoke at high throttle?

Comment

Originally posted by Stace

Just a thought, would a bad oil soaked cat burn blue smoke at high throttle?
                  Yep, that could be it too. Just drive the shit outta it and enjoy yourself for a little while, then fix it. Situation won't seem as bad anymore lol

Comment

I dunno if I would go that route. If you are concerned about the cat, take it off and drive around without it for a bit. If you try driving on it for awhile to "clear out" the cat, and that ends up not being the cause, you may cause more damage than necessary.

Comment

SOunds liek the turbo needs a rebuild.
                      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Stace
                        If I take off my charge pipe to the TB wont it overspin?, should I unhook the waste gate so its open ?

And if the turbo needs new seals, it will leak out the compressor side? not the exaust side?

SO.... running without the charge pipe connected to the TB will sho me if its even the turbo thats leaking right?
                        1. yes it will over spin even with the spring out

2. false, it can leak out either or both

3. all u have to do it take off your piping after the turbo and look for oil, if u see oil your turbo is bad. you can also take off your downpipe and see if there is oil in there
                        <br /><br />

Comment

you probably need a rebuild, but you might only need the seals replaced, which are a whopping $10 for both. you can do this yourself and you can get the parts at any local diesel shop. this is only if the other internals are alright, which in most cases, usually need to be replaced too.

a regular rebuild will cost $250 with all of the parts. this doesn't include replacement of componenets such as turbine wheel, compressor wheel, either housing or center section. all of that stuff is extra.

remember: before you start taking it apart, the nut on the compressor wheel that hold everything together has a left hand thred.
                          http://www.alphatuning.com

Give it a Like! Alpha Tuning on Facebook

Comment