turbo oil feed/return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo oil feed/return

need some help here, what size turbo feed line do i need? -4 an or -6 an? i fount a fitting for the block the 16mm x 1.5 to -6 an but cant find it to -4 an like i was told was good for oil feed, but someone might be able to help me here.

what size fittings do i need to get off the block? what size feed line? what size return line? and what do i need for the oil pan?

thx
    [color=red]-Tyler[/color]<br /><br />2005 Chevy Trailblazer<br />1999 Saturn SL2<br />2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

i believe feed should be 4 and return should be 10.
    you could use the adapter, and then buy another 4 to 6 an adapter to use with the 4 line. :-D
    -teb

Comment

or just get a male m16x1.5 to FEMALE 1/8npt and a male to male 1/8npt to -04an.
      07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment

on mine i run a -4 line but i needed two adapters on my block to run it.....it runs great and there is plenty of room for the two adapters...and 10 is a good size for a return just make sure that it is a downward routing....and don't forget to use a oil restrictor on the turbo side of the feed line...for the pan just get an outside thread 1/2" NPT steel fitting, drill hole as high as possible in pan and have the fitting welded on.
        Go turbo or don't go at all!
        <br />-NY
        <br />'94 Turbo SC2
        <br />

Comment

you dont need a restrictor for journal bearing turbos on our cars.
          07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment

i agree, but some would disagree who have had turbo seals blown. but with my turbo i've never had a prob.
            -teb

Comment

if the return is done properly i dont think you would need a restrictor.

Comment

-4 feed, -10 drain here. no smoke.

Comment

for a $2 part to save potentionally blown seals it is worth it to me....i know plenty of people that don't run restrictors and have no problem....but for even that small chance i'de rather spend the 2 bucks and not have to worry about it
                  Go turbo or don't go at all!
                  <br />-NY
                  <br />'94 Turbo SC2
                  <br />

Comment

Originally posted by turbosc2
                    for a $2 part to save potentionally blown seals it is worth it to me....i know plenty of people that don't run restrictors and have no problem....but for even that small chance i'de rather spend the 2 bucks and not have to worry about it
                    Understand that you can also restrict the oil too much, starving the turbo.. you need to check how much pressure the oil line is giving, how much the min/max of the turbo specs are, and then adjust accordingly.
                    - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                      Originally posted by turbosc2
                      Understand that you can also restrict the oil too much, starving the turbo.. you need to check how much pressure the oil line is giving, how much the min/max of the turbo specs are, and then adjust accordingly.
                      eh i just ran -3an

Comment

If you need a restrictor to keep it from smoking from an -an4, then you need to have the turbo rebuilt.

an3 line will be ok too....if you are brawlbraring it, then don't go larger then an3.

If you can get a 5/8 drain line, that is better. Don't go smaller then 1/2...that's the smallest you want.

Also, heater hose will not like the oil. It will swell. By the turbo, it will turn rock hard and crack. You can get high temp oil resistant stuff for about 3 dollars a foot.
                        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

sounds good, thanks for all the help guys. i'll be joining the boost club soon [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_twisted.gif[/img]
                          [color=red]-Tyler[/color]<br /><br />2005 Chevy Trailblazer<br />1999 Saturn SL2<br />2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Comment

take the oil galley plug drill it and tap it for 1/8" npt. get 1/8" npt to -4 or -3 an line. thats about $3.

saturns are a low pressure system (38psi after 2500 rpm), so if you add a restrictor, get ready to buy a new turbo. it happend to me. turbos need about 10psi of oil pressure, at idle our cars make about 5~8. you'll most likely damage the turbo during idle and lower rpms with a restrictor.

if your worried about it -3an is the best insurence. if your having a hard time finding -3an, us a pre-fab nitrous line. already have the ends and are cut to lenght.

you'll need about 5 ft of feed line. this will have extra, but better that then too short.
                            http://www.alphatuning.com

Give it a Like! Alpha Tuning on Facebook

Comment

I used 3ft for my first line...3.5ft on my second..3.5 ft fits nice.
                              -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment