No announcement yet.

m62 question with da 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no coolant lines on/with the M62 - S/C oil is in the snout, little cooling effect, if any.

Cooling is via the intake manifold and the laminova cores on the LSJ...

Comment

But the clutch probably holds better on the 2.2 (L61?)
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

so would a 2.2 be good as it is for cooling with a m62 roots charger. just trying to see what kind of things i amg etting myself into if and when myself and my buddy want to swap thigns around.

so no annoying running or oil lines, or coolant lines, for the roots charger just the special fluid in the charger itself. which if i am not mistaken takes a while to have it changed out.
        2004 Ion Redline Blue sunroof, advance audio, nexen rubber more to come..
        <br />
        <br />97 sl2 5spd [email protected] SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Rear-Vue
          so would a 2.2 be good as it is for cooling with a m62 roots charger. just trying to see what kind of things i amg etting myself into if and when myself and my buddy want to swap thigns around.

so no annoying running or oil lines, or coolant lines, for the roots charger just the special fluid in the charger itself. which if i am not mistaken takes a while to have it changed out.
          You need SOME sort of intercooler (between the blower and intake manifold). Guys running their RLs without a function intercooler pump were seing temps up near 200 (IAT2) - 100 higher than IAT1. The 2 that had their intercooler fail all together were seeing temps 250+ at IAT2...NOT good for power, by any means.

I know there's a Cavy out there with an M62 on it - dunno if he's a 2.2 or a 2.4 though...

Comment

if i am not mistaken its a 2.2 eco u was gonna use a intercooler with the roots for ambiant air from the intake, i need to get a look at a roots charger up close to see how it works out.
            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by MGM1979
              Originally posted by Rear-Vue

You need SOME sort of intercooler (between the blower and intake manifold). Guys running their RLs without a function intercooler pump were seing temps up near 200 (IAT2) - 100 higher than IAT1. The 2 that had their intercooler fail all together were seeing temps 250+ at IAT2...NOT good for power, by any means.

I know there's a Cavy out there with an M62 on it - dunno if he's a 2.2 or a 2.4 though...
              it's a 2.2, and I know a lot of cavalier owners and a few sunfire owners with the setup on there. they love it, and they're hitting low 14's to high 13's on a stock engine with just the GM flash and the blower setup.

this is the main reason I'm debating on actually going with an eaton over a turbo or a procharger, but at the same time I'd rather not have the same as everyone else.
              -Vinny

Comment

hey dumb question the root style setup (on the redline) isnt the roots charger just part of the intake manifold?

gonna go find some pictar of the redline to see how its designed or does the intake just fit beside the roots?
                <br />

Comment

I win!

-2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                  -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                  -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                  -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                  -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

aha so it is the one piece sits on top style like the old v8 stuff, so is there a collant line going thru the intake manfiold like the 3100 GM motor to help cool the manifold or? curious how the hell it if its direct fit that the air gets cooled then get crammed into the engine.

isnt it air cooled on the redline? i remember there an intercooler.

504 is the tb, and the 502 is the collant area or? that some kind of area to cram the air out and then back in or..
                    <br />

Comment

it's an "air to water aftercooler" to cool the charge

what you see up front is the "heat exchanger" which is basically a small radiator just to cool the coolant that flows through the aftercooler. it also has it's own resivior and pump (pump is the same from a cobra mustang actually)
                      -Vinny

Comment

hmm so for the ion could probally just use a procharger to make it more simple... since it would probally be rare to get my hands on a redline m62 and manfiold for cheap.. oh well i need to wait for someone to buy a procharger kit and realize they shouldnt of like a week later. and buy it for half price.

i saw on prochargers website a silver ion with the procharger and ghetto looking rubber piping right to the intake on a 4 door. i remember it was someone on turdbo saturns. it was a nice simple setup
                        <br />

Comment

not sure if it would be more simple, you're talking about two totally different blower designs. the laminova aftercooler is pretty damn efficient, and works real well to drop the temps of the compressed air.

the easiest way to get the m62 setup is to go with the kit for the cavalier you mentioned before. it all bolts on and is designed by GM for the engine specifically. also comes with instructions to install it. can't get much more simple than that.

either way, you still need to tune for this regardless of what setup you use.

and actually, if you look around, there are usually m62's for sale somewhat often. the laminova setup is what might be hard to come by and even then you can buy it via GM/Saturn/Chevy.
                          -Vinny

Comment

it would be cheeper just to go get a used redline

Comment

Originally posted by BC. Livewire
                              it would be cheeper just to go get a used redline
                              but we are poor and stupid and wish to do it the hard way. plus a used redline still goes for like 17k+ around here he has a 05 ion2 with like 40,000km on it.

i've seen alot of the m62 kits all the time for sale on jbody.org and other jbody sites, for pretty cheap like 800 bux to 2,000 bux for everything. then just buy a safc2, and widband o2 and just used the injectors they supply in the kit
                              <br />

Comment

also i heard about the saab 2.0T manifold and most of it will fit right up to the redline/ 2.2 ion

seen a kit/ parts on ebay
                                <br />

Comment