m62 question with da 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m62 question with da 2.2

i was at the homo Jbody.org and apparently a couple guys managed to swapp a cobalt ss s/c m62 charger and manifold, injectors, and some pullies, belt, and they got some kind of flash and they are running almost 200whp at 10psi.

so is any of that shit possible for us in the ion? i know the cowsvaliers have return lines, so would i have to change the system to return or could i get away witout swapping it this way?

i was just curiious of this way cause this would be alot easier, vs doing the trubo with astars's ion.
    2004 Ion Redline Blue sunroof, advance audio, nexen rubber more to come..
    <br />
    <br />97 sl2 5spd [email protected] SOLD

you know that the ion has the same motor/platform/fuel systems as the colbalt right. if you are referring to the cobalt ss with the supercharger it is the same as a redline. 2.2 ecotec colbalt same as the 2.2 ecotec ion and so on and so forth. what ever can be done to the colbalt can be done to the ion other than body stuff.
    2007 chevy classic 2500hd 4x4 duramax
    1996 383 lt1 auto trans am
    1995 sl1. single cam of fury
    1995 jeep wrangler lifted 4x4 4.0
    1995 ford explorer 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by sl2racer
      you know that the ion has the same motor/platform/fuel systems as the colbalt right. if you are referring to the cobalt ss with the supercharger it is the same as a redline. 2.2 ecotec colbalt same as the 2.2 ecotec ion and so on and so forth. what ever can be done to the colbalt can be done to the ion other than body stuff.
      exactly

what he probably is talking about is all the cavalier and sunfires that swap the entire blower assembly over to the 2.2 from an LSJ.

here's the difference: THEY HAVE TUNING, THE 03 AND UP ION AND COBALT 2.2 DO NOT

I know I've answered this exact question on this forum at least half a dozen times. right now we're stuck waiting until we get a definitive answer from HP Tuners or SCT or Diablo. until then, don't waste your time unless you get a full standalone for it, and even then there are going to be drawbacks.
      -Vinny

Comment

my main question was that ecm flash.. i dont think we have that., and i dont know if it would work on an ion if the reflash is made for slowbalts/ cowvaliers.

i am aware its all the same shit mehcanically.

but was also wondering about the fuel returnless/ return stuff
        <br />

Comment

there is no "flash" for the cobalt 2.2 or the ion 2.2 at this point, nor is there plans to from GM. the only way to alter the stock ecu would be with one of the above mentioned companies.

what about the fuel system? you don't have to have return style to make power, at least on these engines/cars. once you get the ecu programmed you can alter pressure via the pump and such, and the cap looking thing at the end of the fuel rail is there to damp the pulses and basically take them away so that it keeps pressure and fluid moving smoothly. the LSJ has the same fuel system as the 2.2 and 2.4, meaning it's returnless.
          -Vinny

Comment

ahh ok wasn't sure about the returnless and such, yah i remember looking around for on here for upgraded flashes, thru i think it was HP tunerz and that other company that everyone was tryng to get a group buy going.

hmm so it would be possible to do the blower, slap in some redline injectors or equivilant, intercooler, piping, safc2 (to remove the fuel) wideband for tuning, grab a lsj header, and go from there that would be alot easier then a turdbo.
            <br />

Comment

I really don't know how reliable that would work out, you'd need a large enough pulley to keep boost below 12psi. it should be ok because of the conservative timing, but I don't want to say it will since we haven't tried it yet. honestly, this is why we were saying to nitrous or go with an EIC for low boost, but that's not an option on this blower setup.

IF you guys go this route, do so with a grain of salt and open mind, since it's "uncharted" on the ion so far. I think it will work, but it might not be as simple as you or I would like it to be.
              -Vinny

Comment

oh i know moddifying another is not a walk in the park, i know it works well with the turbo for a safc2 and such. but ot sure for supercharger would be easier since its linear power.. hmm well see how it works to be.
                <br />

Comment

lol

linear power doesn't make it easier, at all.

plus, it's not completely linear.. and nor is your original torque curve
                  - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

we are saying

if you do this do not think this car will be reliable enef for uses as a daley driver

Comment

i know this wont be a redline for reliability, (its not my car i am just getting info for a buddy) and i meant linear power since i dont have to wait for a turbo to spool the pwoer is always there. and would have a nice torque curve.
                      <br />

Comment

Originally posted by Rear-Vue
                        i know this wont be a redline for reliability, (its not my car i am just getting info for a buddy) and i meant linear power since i dont have to wait for a turbo to spool the pwoer is always there. and would have a nice torque curve.
                        actually, this blower puts out a pretty linear power curve, you'll be suprised if/when you get it on. doesn't drop off nearly as much as earlier models did up top.
                        -Vinny

Comment

with a right sized turbo you don't have to wait for it to spool. biggest misunderstanding about turbos.
                          -teb

Comment

Originally posted by tebriel
                            with a right sized turbo you don't have to wait for it to spool. biggest misunderstanding about turbos.
                            -teb
                            lol no way! [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]
                            -Vinny

Comment

i think a supercharger would be easier to install vs a turbo i have a dumb question the supercharger does it need to have a collant line put thru it for cooling or does the air changes cool it or.. cause i know some of the other superchargers use coolant or oil to cool them.

thanks
                              <br />

Comment