turbo parts for a supercharger setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo parts for a supercharger setup?

ok, im starting to work on my setup more and more. So dont be too suprised when i start posting pics of my "final" setup already done [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

well my question is, im trying to keep the psi low because im not trying to change my internals. So if i run a supercharger through an intercooler and want to keep it under 9psi, how can i keep it from going over. Im not so worried because with simple math i figured 9.5 psi at 7K rpms, but just to be safe would a wastegate at the ic pipe before the intercooler work? I also thought of a blow off valve, but then i figured most BOV open at a high pressure and there possibly cant be one that would open at 9.
    i dont know how a wastegate works btw...
    any other ideas if the wastegate idea is a no?
    Just baught a Big Mac, Throw some Cheese on that bitch...
    <br />
    <br />**i*14: i actually shot a bird for sitting over my car
    <br />
    <br />tool:
    <br />One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used
    <br />
    <br />[quote author="Schizzo97SC2"]what have we learned boys and girls? SOHC's are not fast. ever.[/quote]

I "Think" a WG only works off of a turbo. It is basicly a bypass for the air to travel around the turbo creating less boost from it. A supercharger isn't using forced air to turn the wheely thingy so you only have one type of air going through it. I ain't very articulate so I hope it helped out. In fact I probably shouldn't have posted, hmm anyway I was trying to get you a quick answer and it is NO a WG won't work oon a supercharger.
    sigpic

Comment

well i know the wg is put on the turbo manifold to let air out when the psi gets too strong, so it woulndt work on the actual supercharger. But instead of the manifold i was thinking something more like this...

Just baught a Big Mac, Throw some Cheese on that bitch...
      <br />
      <br />**i*14: i actually shot a bird for sitting over my car
      <br />
      <br />tool:
      <br />One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used
      <br />
      <br />[quote author="Schizzo97SC2"]what have we learned boys and girls? SOHC's are not fast. ever.[/quote]

Comment

you could run a bov and cut the spring on the inside.

it might take a couple springs before you get it to the desired opening, however it would work.
        http://www.alphatuning.com

Give it a Like! Alpha Tuning on Facebook

Comment

buy an adjustable BOV
          <br /><br />

Comment

yeh an adjustable BOV would work... but if its 9.5 on paper, dont count on it being that high in reality. pressure loss through the IC, supercharger efficiency (or INefficiency), etc. will bring the number down.

the calculator i have tells me i should get 16 psi at a 1.86 drive ratio, but i doubt highly ill get it.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I thought that the boost produced by the S/C was primarily dependent upon the pulley you put on it. Once you figure out how fast your S/C is sposed to spin to produce the amount of boost you're after you would calculate the ratio tween the S/C pulley and Crankshaft pulley to achieve the proper RPM. Then get that diameter pulley to slap on there.

Am i off the mark?

Also, on a side note. If you rely on your BOV to bleed the extra PSI then your car could potentially always be venting or hiccup'ing, probably annoy the hell out of you and everyone around you. There is also the problem of having too small of a BOV that couldn't vent enough air to bring your PSI into safe range. *shrug* I don't think the BOV idea is a viable solution or at least not the proper solution. I'm almost certain your set your S/C psi by your pulley choice.
              He who won't read has no advantage over he who cannot. Repeat after me: Investigate. Learn. Discover. Ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

pop-off valve is what you're looking for.

possibly run that along with a blow off valve, not sure if you will have issues though.

yes boost should be limited to the pulley on a blower, but the problem is that we're not all that sure how many PSI will be there after the inercooler pass and such. air temp can have an effect too. I think Geo is more looking for a safegaurd since this is his daily and all.
                -Vinny

Comment

safest way then is a larger S/C pulley for less boost. rather than tying to make less out of more, make less from the get-go.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by ExHempKnight
                    safest way then is a larger S/C pulley for less boost. rather than tying to make less out of more, make less from the get-go.
                    part of the problem is that you build more boost in colder weather as I mentioned, regardless of pulley size. with that in mind, something like a pop off/pop up valve is going to relieve the excess pressure without causing huge problems. I feel this is his main concern.
                    -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                      Originally posted by ExHempKnight
                      part of the problem is that you build more boost in colder weather as I mentioned, regardless of pulley size. with that in mind, something like a pop off/pop up valve is going to relieve the excess pressure without causing huge problems. I feel this is his main concern.
                      what problems can happen with an adjustable BOV its not like a turbo where it will overspin from a boost leak?
                      <br /><br />

Comment

if you set the BOV too loose it will leak boost erratically as opposed to doing what it's supposed to do. it won't overspin it, but there's no reason to do that honestly when there's another feasible part that does what is being asked.
                        -Vinny

Comment

i forgot to add.

you don't want to hook vaccume up to the bov if you start messing with the springs.

you essentially want the boost to open the vavle by itself.

that would prevent the bov from opening under 9 psi of pressure.

you could figure out the spring rate by taking the stock spring and cutting off a coil until it stays at 9 psi.

you could make some sort of pressure tester to be sure it works.

or if you want to get really crazy. you could use a hobs switch to retard timing a shit load or somthing.
                          http://www.alphatuning.com

Give it a Like! Alpha Tuning on Facebook

Comment

what about a diverter valve....would that work?
                            Out of all the Mothafuckas I know of. Yous the Mothafuckest
                            <br />
                            <br />Dont play by the rules, make your own and run your legacy, because it feels so much better starting one then being in one
                            <br />
                            <br />
                            <br />RICE. Its whats for dinner
                            <br />
                            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by uberSC2
                              what about a diverter valve....would that work?
                              no
                              -Vinny

Comment