Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i got my wiseco's

got my wiseco's today and my scat rods

have a couple questions--btw this is my first time putting pistons in a engine [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/biggrin.gif[/img]

my pistons are stock bore so i'm going to rehone the cylinders, i'm told theres a certain limit i have to go for the rings for when they are heated. so i'm not sure how much to hone the cylinder. any help would be great

Russ
    2000 sl2 5 speed *for sale*<br />1998 SC2 forged motor, turbo sold<br />1992 sc2 turbo sold

If the rings are "file to fit" then you will have to file the rings.

If yo have a stock bore piston, thne run the hone with 20-25 strokes an it should be ok.

If you are worried about it, you can have a machine shop do it and install/assemble the lower end.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Ohh, there sould be paper work provided that tells you recommended piston to wall clearance and ring gap recommendations.
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

mybad i just got home and looked at the papers

i will scan them and post here in about 10 mins
        2000 sl2 5 speed *for sale*<br />1998 SC2 forged motor, turbo sold<br />1992 sc2 turbo sold

Comment

i'll prolly just have the machine shop do it so i know its done right and then get everything balanced

i am learning tho [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Take it those are 8.5:1 pistons? Since this is for hte terdbo engine I would take it to the machine shop and have them bore match the cylinders to the pistons. Take a sharpie, write 1,2,3, &4 on them and then write the corresponding #'s on the block. Assemble it yourself is fine, but I don't want to fuck around with my engine when I get everything caue I want to follow the manufacturer specs as they waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more than I do.

EDIT: Nope, just saw that they are stock compression. Man, I wish I knew how hard it would be to get/modify pre-existing job #'s a set of 8.8CR pistons. I think running 9.0 CR total in the chamber would be a great combo for a mid boost setup, like 12-15psi.
            [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

yeah stock c/r i'm not tooo worried about that tho, i just gotta be more carfeul with a/f ratios and ect. i mean i've seen other cars with higher c/r's run 20psi no prob. i'm just worried about maken power- to maybe hang with a ls1 :lol:

like i said i've installed a crank and cams before but never pistons and i don't wanna take any chanches with this one.

i'll post pics when i get it back on wednesday of next week

Comment

well heres some pics i'm still blown away on how tiny the stock rod is

Comment

that sheet recommends .0030" clearance. That almost sounds like an NA clearance because your clearance will depend on application. You can either hone it to the diam. of the pistons + .0030", or call up Wiseco tell them what you have and what you are planning on doing and ask them for the proper piston to wall clearance measurements.

Comment

I was gonna say .003 is kinda tight. Sam how did those stock rods ever handle more than 12 psi...? [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img] Well we know not for long at least. Very nice setup. Cant wait til i get forged goodness.
                    2002 Saturn SL1- 5 speed, basic, slow, and staying that way.
                    1993 Lexus SC300- Project turning into gold...

Formerly knows as "Saturntuner05."
                    Too many past turds to list.

Comment

Wiseco suggested the same to natedogg for his f/i, IIRC. Those were the pistons I was looking @ on ebay too mang!
                      [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
                        well heres some pics i'm still blown away on how tiny the stock rod is

Tristan posted that same pic. Every time I see it, I almost pull the nitrous out of my car.
                        -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                        -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                        -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                        -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                        -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment