X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinL12086
    • May 2005

Blocking egr...

OK I know this has been asked and answered a thousand times. I have search the internet for the past hour and have not found a good article saying why I should block the EGR on my turbo saturd. Can someone please explain why I should do this? I remember reading that when turbo, you should block, but I can't remember why. I know some people say that it cures hesitation but hell, I can't even get traction in 2nd gear so I don't think I have a problem with hesitation. I thought EGR lowered EGTs?
  • S.Bretz
    6S Moderator
    • Apr 2004

You can tune it to use fuel to lower egt's... leaving the exhaust in the exhuast pipe and not putting carbon build up in the intake manifold.

I personaly havn't used one for years, but it you want to, then go ahead. I don't see any reason other the build up to not use it.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

• JustinL12086
      • May 2005

Cool, yeah I'll go ahead and do it, it's only like a $0.35 mod anyway.

Comment

• saturntech95
        • Oct 2008

Re: Blocking egr...

O.K. so here my question I'm planning a turbo build for my car and I want to block the E.G.R. but won't I need a Simulator to not set the SES. I saw someone taking about these simulators before but I want to know where to get one.
        ------- MIKE --------

WARNING: The following posts may contain and are most likely the result of any/all of the following. Boredom, laziness, apathy, lack of sleep, alchahol and a strong desire to be a jackass for no good reason other than because I can and am. Please read and take any or all posts with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. Not responsible for any butt-hurt, bad attitudes, or temper tantrums. By reading this, you have accepted this warning as a warning, therefore you have been warned, Thank you.

Comment

• DasPirate
          • Oct 2006

Why are you worried about throwing a SES? Do you have to pass emisisons? If so, leave it plugged in, pass emissions, unplug when you leave.
          [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
          <br /><br />

Comment

• JRSTANGE
            • Mar 2007

+1 to that! ^^^

there is a is a thing that tricks it to think it's working but, i've only seen it advertised on grand am and prix's. but, it was assumed if it worked on that gm it would work on a saturn \. but, i never heard anyone using it.

But, i block mine and keep the egr plugged in to prevent other gay issues. but, i still get a code for low flow. which is funny it gets no flow. either way block it and plug it back in for emissions time. just give it a drive cycle or two for the code to clear.

Comment

• saturntech95
              • Oct 2008

Well I geuss Im a weird Saturn tuner because I CAN'T STAND IT when the SES is on but thats what I get for being a mechanic and knowing how to fix them. I mean I can't tell a customer to get used to it its a Saturn. Although I wish I could sometimes.
              ------- MIKE --------

WARNING: The following posts may contain and are most likely the result of any/all of the following. Boredom, laziness, apathy, lack of sleep, alchahol and a strong desire to be a jackass for no good reason other than because I can and am. Please read and take any or all posts with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. Not responsible for any butt-hurt, bad attitudes, or temper tantrums. By reading this, you have accepted this warning as a warning, therefore you have been warned, Thank you.

Comment

• d3ad1ysp0rk
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by saturntech95
                Well I geuss Im a weird Saturn tuner because I CAN'T STAND IT when the SES is on but thats what I get for being a mechanic and knowing how to fix them. I mean I can't tell a customer to get used to it its a Saturn. Although I wish I could sometimes.
                Btw welcome to the site! Nice to see some more New England people trickling in. Feel free to join the STC-NE chapter whenever you want and see if you're interested in being in STC. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]
                - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

• PlasticPower8500
                  • Aug 2007

Well for one if you don't block the EGR, you will be boosting the EGR canister, haha
                  Just block it
                  2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Comment

• JeffSnyder
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PlasticPower8500
                    Well for one if you don't block the EGR, you will be boosting the EGR canister, haha
                    Just block it
                    I think you might be thinking of the "EVAP Canister" lol

There is a company that sells nice CNC'd aluminum EGR block off plates for both styles of EGR (vacuum and electric) comes with a gasket and hex head bolts...I just got one the other day...I think I bought it shipped for under $25

Comment