engine capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine capability

Serenity's engine has 133,000 miles on her and i was wondering if it could handle a turbo.
    [quote author="jay96 sl"]looks like kirby that got high on meth or something[/quote]<br /><br /><br />1996 Saturn sl2<br />1998 Acura CL 3.0

umm.

mt everst is thousands of feet high can i climb it?
    2007 chevy classic 2500hd 4x4 duramax
    1996 383 lt1 auto trans am
    1995 sl1. single cam of fury
    1995 jeep wrangler lifted 4x4 4.0
    1995 ford explorer 4x4

Comment

miles have nothing to do with it. You need to get a compression check.
      Kevin
      <br />
      <br />I dont even Have a car yet...What am I doing here?...Research!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnit
        miles have nothing to do with it. You need to get a compression check.
        dunno who you are, but you are absolutely right. You could have 50k on a motor with no compression = no boost

or 150000 with 200 psi across the board = good to go.

Just check the compression, be sure to open the throttle up and if you get 180+ in all four, you should be alright

Comment

allright cool thanks
          [quote author="jay96 sl"]looks like kirby that got high on meth or something[/quote]<br /><br /><br />1996 Saturn sl2<br />1998 Acura CL 3.0

Comment

If you dont know how to do it there is a how-to somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Found it.
            http://www.saturnspot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30354
            Kevin
            <br />

Comment

the link is not working

Comment

worked for me
                99 Saturn Blackberry SL2
                <br />
                <br />7/17/2006

Comment

[quote="angelus21"]the ]

What are you getting? The spot is back up so the link should work. Maybe you have to regester?
                  Kevin
                  <br />

Comment

I didn't have to, worked just fine for me.
                    Fixing a Saturn can be like reaching into a bag of scorpions and hoping for the tootsie roll.

AMR coilovers w/pillowball mounts, AMR FTB, AMR RST, Quaife, ACT clutch, HR con rods with JPC max bore pistons, Thermal exhaust, Hotshot header, AEM CAI, and I just want to run around tearing my cloths off, screaming beligerently, and spitting, and twitching, and foaming; because its finally done.

Comment

it worked for me i saw it so it is all good

Comment

this may be a stupid question but i was told i need low compression for a turbo and you guys are saying i need high compression, so which is it do i need high compression to do a turbo in serenity or do i need low compression for her? i am confused. please help me

Comment

i'm no expert here, but i belive you need a lower compression ratio? ie 10:1 or some crap like that.

yeah i'm totally in the wrong forum. back to DNE!
                          lawd it's been a long time

Comment

when they talk about "low compression for a turbo", they are talking about the compression the engine is set up to have.

when you do a compression check, you are checking to see if the engine HOLDS the compression that it is set up to have, or if pressure is leaking out somewhere. You don't want pressure leaking out somewhere.
                            SaturnSeries.net Owner
                            '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Comment

Here read this http://www.turbosaturns.net/articles/ia ... %20faq.htm

"High mileage does NOT automatically mean the engine is in any worse condition, but it is more likely. One way to test if your engine is in good condition is to compression and leak down test it. Any shop can do it for you easily, or you can buy the tools to do it yourself from your local parts store. Compression should be between 180 and 210. Anything lower and your engine may not be a good motor to put extra strain on."
                              Kevin
                              <br />

Comment