Twin tdo4L???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin tdo4L???

So noob question.... is it at all possible to twin turbo a built sl2?? I have two tdo4L turbos off of Subaru’s that I’ve acquired in past months... would this even work? I’m worried about them not being able to spool correctly. Thoughts?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Found this picture, apparently someone else has already tried?

Comment

Here is the SaturnFans thread by the builder: SaturnFans - Twin Turbo SL2
        '94 SL2: The Detail Junky (Will it ever run? Does it even exist?)
        '95 SW2: The Daily Junky 3 (388k Champion)
        '95 SL2: The Daily Junky 5 (aka Snow Junky 2)

The Detail Junky Build

"Saturn people like a different kind of Escargot: Redefining the association between Saturns and Snails."

For Sale Thread (Current Items: 9-Bolt Head, 9-Bolt Timing Cover, 5-Bolt Timing Cover)
        Wanted Thread (None)

Comment

Biggest obstacle is always tuning. You're probably better off just running either one or one properly sized one, but the idea of twin turbo obviously sounds cooler.
          Sixthsphere.com Owner
          2016 Honda Fit
          2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
          2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Thank for the input guys! It’s an interesting thread Craig, but I don’t understand what he’s talking about when he says he put a 42# extra injector? Like how the heck do you do that? Haha. Anyways it’s an idea I had, thought maybe I could swap the AR exhaust side housing on both turbos to eliminate the internal wastegate to balance them better possibly? Idk, I understand it would probably be a bitch to get right, but if I could get this set up running good that would be sweet! Again thanks SC2sick and Craig for the input!

Comment

There are a few AIC/EIC additional/extra injector controllers on the market. 034 makes one. I recommend running an electromitive TEC full standalone unit. People who boost Saturns with those seem to have the best success. I had several fights with my megasquirt when I was running my old car boosted.
              Sixthsphere.com Owner
              2016 Honda Fit
              2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
              2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Cool I’ll go check them out, thanks sc2sick.

also, last night picked up a gutted block for $150, cylinder walls in good shape (the guy gave them a light hone). No cracks as far as I can tell, figure it’ll be the platform for the engine build. Was surprised how light those blocks are when they are bare haha.

Comment

one of those td04's should do decent to start out with, being from a subaru you would have countless bolt on upgrade options later on.

Comment

The published longblock weight for the DOHC is 225 LB's. I havent seen many non motor cycle 4 cylinders get close to that- IIRC the SOHC is 215 or something
                    http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

Leighv what does IIRC mean?

I have been in contact with golden eagle since last week. With the bare 3rd gen block I picked up recently, I’m planning to send it off to them to have it bored to 83mm and sleeved. Along with that I’m having the whole thing built, arp everything, cp pistons and rods, HD upgraded wrist pins, the works. Doing this so that block is solid as hell, that way I can hopefully run a twin turbo setup if I figure out how I’m gonna do it. Otherwise I’ll run a single (maybe just do the td04l like jts mentioned so I’ll have bolt on options). Basically much more planning to do, but I do have a start haha

Comment

So, as of right now I am waiting on golden eagle to finish the build. Engine is being bored to 83mm (.040 over) and getting All kinda of good stuff. I talked to bob at golden eagle also about port and polishing a DOHC once I get one sent to them. But seems pretty pricey to me. I have both the invoices attached, thought maybe you guys could take a look and see what you think on what I got going into it so far? Also need to find a head gasket that will hold under boost pressure, I hear that is a big issue with turbos saturns. But any input helps, this is a dream build of mine and I love this community for all of its valuable info! Wish it wasn’t as dead as it is, I would have loved to be apart of this community when it was booming!!
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment