Megasquirt Gray IGN wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt Gray IGN wire

Question about the gray shielded wire for IGN on the MS wire harness.

I'm using a tach driver; am i supposed to ...uhh... circumsize the shielding and connect only the white core wire to the gray wire of the tach driver? Or do I strip some of the gray insulation off and some of the white insulation off, twist both the sheild and the core wiring together with the gray wire of the tach driver and solder? Orr do I just use a wire tap to go through all layers of the shielded MS wire, and the tach driver wire? Orrr am I suppposed to ground the shield somewhere?
    LACK of money is the root of all evil

Strip the shielding away and use the inner wire.. ask me how I know...
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

the shield is grounded inside the ms

Comment

well, I couldnt get a signal from the tach driver, but i was able to get one by tapping in to the white wire in terminal D2 on the PCMs blue harness. I have RPM in megasquirt and on the dash. go me. Thanks for the help

Comment

What year is your car?
          In case you didn't know , YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!
          #1 drunk poster and breaker of crankshafts.
          Flat black is not paint , it's a fucking primer you douchefags!
          I can't hear your loud pipes over my my louder stereo! F U stereotypical harley owners!

Comment

Comment

Any pics or diagrams of this? Thought a shitty msd tach driver was needed on anything OBD2 to feed thhe MS for tach signal? Bad luck with all msd shit so I got NO faith in their shit here.
              I can't hear your loud pipes over my my louder stereo! F U stereotypical harley owners!

Comment

I thought I needed one for my 97 but turns out I didn't.
                Sixthsphere.com Owner
                2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV
                2016 Honda Fit
                2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
                2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Then why was a tach driver needed? I bought a fucked up SC2 years back that had one in it , but it also had an SDS EIC in it. This is good news to know I don't need it!

Comment

98+ doesn't give a signal when cranking which is what the tach generator is for.
                    Tristan
                    1997 SC Turbo
                    1999 F-250 Powerstroke SD
                    1999 Cavalier RS

Comment

COrrect me if I am wrong but all 96 and up cars are OBD2 and all saturns 96+ have the different ignition module from the 95 and back. Therefore I assumed the modules and signals were all the same 96to at least 99 before they went to the different PCMs. So this means I still need a dam shitty MSD tach driver?

Comment

Yes 96+ is OBD2, but the PCM changed as well between the years. 96 and 97 PCMs generated a tach signal during cranking while as 98+ did not. You have to dump in a bunch of extra fuel on prime so when it combusts the RPMs rise high enough for the PCM to start generating a signal. MSD may fix this. I've never had luck with them, but other have.

If you are going MS2 or MS3, just wire it up to the stock CKPS and be done with it. Never need to worry about the TACH problem ever again.
                        Tristan
                        1997 SC Turbo
                        1999 Cavalier RS

Comment

So I assume I can't run the CKPS signal into a MS1? I need a MS 2 or 3 to do this? I plan on letting the PCM control spark still. Trying to keep it as simple as possible. And the PCM won't mind sharing the CKPS signal with te MS? Thanks for the help so far Tristan.

Comment

Just MS2Extra and later.
                            Tristan
                            1997 SC Turbo
                            1999 Cavalier RS

Comment

SO you're saying just buy a MS2 and can the idea of buying the MS1? ANd whats the extra part? the DIYautotune site didn't quite seem 100% easy to find what I need.

Comment