MS on N/A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS on N/A

Just curious as to what kinda gains using MS on a 96 SL2 N/A would have controlling fuel and ignition timing. This will be for circle dirt racing purpose only so no plan to use any nitrous or turbo. Just trying to get opinions of others while trying to research options.

I reckon no one has an opinion as to whether there is anything to be gained controlling fuel and spark on a N/A stock SL2. OBDII with a gutted harness, light flywheel.

Comment

Trying to get information on this before I decide to pull the trigger on getting one if it's worth it to. Also, how does the engine handle the higher revs if the rev limiter is changed to accommodate running ~7200+ rpms in 2nd or 3rd gear?

Comment

I am sure there is power to be had on a naturally aspirated setup...its is just that I don't recall anyone posting numbers of a be a before/after.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Thanks. Been looking and looking to figure out what direction I want to go next during this off-season, but no real information out there.

Comment

Also, would I need one of those fancy trigger wheels?? Or would the stock components suffice? Still trying to figure out, too many conflicting ideas.

Comment

if there's gains with SAFC you can find gains with standalone. i just got my microsquirt setup running with a 36-1 trigger wheel mounted to the crankshaft pulley at the front and a hall effect sensor. it controls the fuel injectors with batch fire and the stock ICM and coils with logic level output.
              http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

Going to start small with just the microsquirt and WBO2 to start with and see where that gets me before I go further.

Comment

The ECM may flip out and default to limp mode timing across the board in that configuration. If you notice a big loss of power it probably defaulted to a steady 10BTDC advance for every load/rpm.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! Luckily I have a few months to toy around and look for any glitches such as that.

Comment

i can send you the trigger wheel file if you'd like. i had it water jet cut. I did it in sketchup and you can export to the file the water jet shop needs. i did have to file inside the wheel after cutting as it was just a hair too small to fit over the lip
                      http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

Originally posted by leighv View Post
                        i can send you the trigger wheel file if you'd like. i had it water jet cut. I did it in sketchup and you can export to the file the water jet shop needs. i did have to file inside the wheel after cutting as it was just a hair too small to fit over the lip
                        When I was getting wheels laser'd out I would make the inside diameter a little small so that I could put the crank pulley on a lathe and then machine the diameter down and true it up to make sure the wheel sat on the pulley nice and centered. I would then mount up the trigger wheel and them machine the outer edge of the teeth to smooth them out so the pick up could get a nice tight fit to the trigger wheel.

Comment

I was intending on using the OBD2 that's currently in use. Haven't hooked anything up as of yet. Do you guys recommend getting a trigger wheel and installing another sensor to control spark timing? Guess I assumed that one CKP that comes stock on the engine block would be sufficient to control the spark timing and ultimately "hide" the use of the MS when I go to certain tracks.

Comment

Also, trying to figure out what wires from the wiring harness from diyauto to connect to the ICM before I move forward. These things would be a lot easier if they actually had our oddball CPS system listed in the manual instead of us having to get creative.

Comment

My SC2 was N/A with a MS2. It felt like it had more power but I never had it dyno'd to know for sure. You will need to trim back some of the shrink tubing and solder wires onto the stock CkPS harness. Easiest way.
                              Beige 93 SC2, fully loaded, MS3 Pro, nitrous, Walbro 255, high compression. 155hp/296hp
                              Purple 93 SC2, Minus all options, but with rear discs. Turbocharged with a GT25R. MS2. 290hp
                              99 SC2 White Hot, 97 SC2 M/T 106k

Comment