Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD 1 PCM Tuning

Hello all,
    Just got done reading the forums and threads about tuning the OBD1 PCM's, but it seems like none of them came up with any conclusions or instructions on how exactly to get into the PCM. I am interested in adjusting the fuel trims and just playing around with it, as I have several PCM's for my 1995 Sl2. My idea was to get one to screw around with and "Tune" and then when I am done for the day throw the stock one back in. If anybody has any more updated information on this topic, I would be all ears.

Also, I am not planning any crazy builds or anything, just want to play around with it and have some fun. Maybe figure out if it can support a set of mild SDA cams or even midpenn regrinds. I know I will need a AF gauge or I will toast my engine with this, but if I cant get this pcm tuning to work, then I will not run a wideband since I will have no need for it. And I do not want to hack up my wiring harness for an APEXi SAFC or megasquirt if I am not really supporting any major modifications. All I have done is an AEM Cai, 91/92 header, cat delete, and full 2.25" exhaust (thermal R&D). Other than that, the engine is bone stock. The rest of the car has some work, but that is for another thread.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully shedding some light on the PCM capabilities.

I don't think anyone ended up super far on it. FWIW you don't have to hack up your harness, at all, to run the megasquirt. People over complicate it but it's really quite a simple install
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

The safc also doesn’t require very much to install, normally takes about an hour, an hour and a half if you are trying to install it and keep it hidden from tech inspectors.

While you will need some way to view a wide band to tune, be it a reprogram stock computer, standalone, or even piggy back, the reality is that you should be ok with cams and the stock computer. The car is generally so far over fueled that you have to start adding boost before you lean it out. There were a few people who were programming the first gen computers but they have moved on and all disappeared as far as I know. If you really want to work on tuning go with a mega squirt and some lessons on tuning from a place like high performance academy. There are other standalone options that are a bit better but go for a bit more so if you are starting out you may want to keep it simple and cheap initially.
      Jonathan
      Just a guy with a thing for tubeframes and motorswaps...
      Saturns, I have them, too many of them actually
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jon2001sc2 View Post
        The safc also doesn’t require very much to install, normally takes about an hour, an hour and a half if you are trying to install it and keep it hidden from tech inspectors.

While you will need some way to view a wide band to tune, be it a reprogram stock computer, standalone, or even piggy back, the reality is that you should be ok with cams and the stock computer. The car is generally so far over fueled that you have to start adding boost before you lean it out. There were a few people who were programming the first gen computers but they have moved on and all disappeared as far as I know. If you really want to work on tuning go with a mega squirt and some lessons on tuning from a place like high performance academy. There are other standalone options that are a bit better but go for a bit more so if you are starting out you may want to keep it simple and cheap initially.
        I guess for now I will have to look into an safc piggyback.
        Any Rec's for the wideband kit? I have been leaning towards the innovative motorsports MTX-L but they have some shady reviews on there...

Comment