looking for advice about installing a nitrous kit on my SC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advice about installing a nitrous kit on my SC2

I have a single fogger nitrous kit for my '98 SC2 and I have a few questions. First, how much will the engine/clutch/transmission hold? My car is stock other than an intake header and exhaust system. Will I need different spark plugs? I am getting the fuel rail from a '97 and switching over to the old style fuel system, and plan on upgrading the fuel pump. I don't want to blow up my car but I want more power. I am tired of my husband outrunning me in his Honda. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
    sigpic
    Former owner of the Turtle
    (Sold 2017)98 SC2
    98 Honda CR-V my dd

i see its a fogger style, are we talking a wet kit? if so, a wet kit is perfect for the 98 fuel system, run the fuel line off the test port at the end of the rail. Be sure to relieve pressure and take the scrader valve out first. People run up to about a 75 shot on the engines, cluthes, thats kind fo up in the air, it will be a worthy investment to replace one, because you will shave the miles off a stock clutch. as far as plugs go, I used the ZEX plugs with GREAT sucess, most people use a 2 step colder NGK, I'm sure someone will post the part number for you. My person preference was the zex plugs, but everyone does well with NGK also.

If we are talking a dry kit, I honestly would not waste my time....... that is all

Comment

if your diff pin ain't welded, be careful with it.
      94 SC2, manual, the whore that won't die
      96 SC2, auto, 146k, wife's car
      96 Formula, LT1, T56, T-tops, gas guzzling whore

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Comment

Re: looking for advice about installing a nitrous kit on my

Originally posted by redturtle98
        I have a single fogger nitrous kit for my '98 SC2 and I have a few questions. First, how much will the engine/clutch/transmission hold? My car is stock other than an intake header and exhaust system. Will I need different spark plugs? I am getting the fuel rail from a '97 and switching over to the old style fuel system, and plan on upgrading the fuel pump. I don't want to blow up my car but I want more power. I am tired of my husband outrunning me in his Honda. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
        First, how much will the engine/clutch/transmission hold?
        75 shot depending on your clutch. First before everything you should do a compression test and make sure your numbers are good and the engine is healthy.

Will I need different spark plugs?
        BCPR7E11 NGK 2 Steps colder Napa part # 1283

Depending on how safe you want to be I would advise getting an RPM Activation device. This way it turns on only when your at a certain RPM, dont know what kind of kit you have or what other goodies you got. I wouldn't go cheap with the nitrous route but it's up to you. I spent around 1k on my kit and extras wouldnt have it any other way...
        Steven
        <br />[quote author="Saturntuner05"] haha, s-series owned a redline.[/quote]<br />[quote author="koolkash_45"]so ive heard from different people and different forums that when you change the water pump you to pack it with vasoline. what is the point of this because i read the how to an SF and i also downloaded the FSM's how to from PR and neither said anything about packing it.[/quote]

Comment

of all the people I was hoping to see this thread, sc2grndsp and Nyce are two of a few I had in mind.

these guys are on point Jen.

if you just want a decent boost and not worry too much about the tranny and clutch, stick with a 50 shot. definitely look to invest in a window switch, digital or otherwise. I'm hoping this kit is a wet kit as well.

Steven what's the difference between the BCPR and BKR? just the cut in the electrode? I've been meaning to ask you since I"m running the BKR7E11's still.
          -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
            of all the people I was hoping to see this thread, sc2grndsp and Nyce are two of a few I had in mind.

these guys are on point Jen.

if you just want a decent boost and not worry too much about the tranny and clutch, stick with a 50 shot. definitely look to invest in a window switch, digital or otherwise. I'm hoping this kit is a wet kit as well.

Steven what's the difference between the BCPR and BKR? just the cut in the electrode? I've been meaning to ask you since I"m running the BKR7E11's still.
            Honestly I was wondering that too. When I compared them didn't see a difference...
            Steven
            <br />[quote author="Saturntuner05"] haha, s-series owned a redline.[/quote]<br />[quote author="koolkash_45"]so ive heard from different people and different forums that when you change the water pump you to pack it with vasoline. what is the point of this because i read the how to an SF and i also downloaded the FSM's how to from PR and neither said anything about packing it.[/quote]

Comment

I can't add much but to just agree with these fuggas^^^^

Stock internals will handle 75 max without damage (unless user error) and 50 is a good safe bet. I sprayed 50 for many months on an engine with 280K and no problem.

As they said, be safe and get a window switch and also use a Wide Open Throttle switch (none of the fast and furious steering wheel button crap). Make sure you use a wet kit, DO NOT use a dry kit, it is much less safe.

Spray is lots of fun for relatively low cost, I can't wait to get mine back on the road [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_twisted.gif[/img]
              1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

Just to ease every one's mind it is a wet kit.
                sigpic
                (Sold 2017)98 SC2
                98 Honda CR-V my dd

Comment

Originally posted by redturtle98
                  Just to ease every one's mind it is a wet kit.
                  It's not our minds your easing its your engine... [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]
                  Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Fury
                    I can't add much but to just agree with these fuggas^^^^

Stock internals will handle 75 max without damage (unless user error) and 50 is a good safe bet...
                    Just so you know, 75 is not the "max". The "max" so to say varies from engine to engine based upon the overall health of the entire setup, tune, and amount of nitrous use on a daily based average. Though 75 is a close to "max" for your average tuner, you can go above this on stock internals with the proper tuning/monitoring equipment.

And I am glad to hear you may go nitrous; Kevin is right (sc2grndsp), if you only want to go nitrous, scrap the fuel system conversion and keep the returnless fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoolinSc2
                      And I am glad to hear you may go nitrous; Kevin is right (sc2grndsp), if you only want to go nitrous, scrap the fuel system conversion and keep the returnless fuel system.
                      You know after reading all of every one's help we probably won't do the conversion. I'll have to tell your friend that we have changed our minds. Hope he understands.
                      sigpic
                      (Sold 2017)98 SC2
                      98 Honda CR-V my dd

Comment

[Just so you know, 75 is not the "max". The "max" so to say varies from engine to engine based upon the overall health of the entire setup, tune, and amount of nitrous use on a daily based average. Though 75 is a close to "max" for your average tuner, you can go above this on stock internals with the proper tuning/monitoring equipment.

But, that is why I say it that way. If you want to push it farther, so be it, but the average person is not gonna have the proper tuning. Especially with spray because bottle pressure is never a constant. Anybody that is new to it, I tell them 75max for the same reasons I was told that by people when I was new to Nitrous.

But yes, you are right, you can go more.
                        1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Fury
                          [Just so you know, 75 is not the "max". The "max" so to say varies from engine to engine based upon the overall health of the entire setup, tune, and amount of nitrous use on a daily based average. Though 75 is a close to "max" for your average tuner, you can go above this on stock internals with the proper tuning/monitoring equipment.

But, that is why I say it that way. If you want to push it farther, so be it, but the average person is not gonna have the proper tuning. Especially with spray because bottle pressure is never a constant. Anybody that is new to it, I tell them 75max for the same reasons I was told that by people when I was new to Nitrous.

But yes, you are right, you can go more.
                          then it wouldn't be "max" [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

then it wouldn't be "max" [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]
                            Okay then, what is the max you can go??
                            1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

I know of some people who ran 100 direct port, not sure how much higher you could go even with tuning.

Lets not hijack the thread though guys, though it is an interesting discussion.
                              -Vinny

Comment