just a few quick questions (exhaust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a few quick questions (exhaust)

Im in the process of ordering the rest of my exhaust parts, so a few questions
    1. Im gonna use a spiralflow, question is, should I use the cheaper one or spring for the stainless?
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... _744819_-1
    (most components will be ordered from jegs, unless anyone know of a better place)
    2. how big of a flex section should I use?(eventually I will be adding a qtp cutout, so I think I need to keep the flex section fairly short?)
    3. I plan on welding this myself, and Im going shopping for welders tomarrow, never welded before and plan on getting a mig welder, any brand/model suggestions?
    4. finally, would I be ok using a resonator/spiralflow in place of the cat? I know it will throw a code, but as far a sound is concerned.

EDIT:forgot to add, Im getting my 91 header sandblasted and either ceramic or powder coated, just how hot do those headers tend to get (so the shop will know what to use)
    <br /><br />[quote author="bwtucker"]two guys whose avatars are bent rods disscussing what to do with a motor that involves possible breakage can't be a good thing<br />[/quote]

I'd use a high flow cat (you won't gain much if any hp by using anything else instead, and the exhaust will smell worse without one), a resonator/spiral flow and whatever muffler you like, ALL stainless. If you're not going to get all stainless, don't get anything in stainless.
    - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

I don't like how cars smell WITH cats....at least ones that run rich. If fucks with my nose.

3-6 inche flex section should be fine...just put it where its designed to flex. If you have stiff mounts, just try to find a 3 inche flex. You won't need more if the engine ain't moving [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

Stainless, or not. Its up to you. Linefire gor burned on a warranty since he had the mild steel one. But I think he was just unlucky. I have had 5 of them without problems. 2 are on onemeansaturn's car now, 2 are on my car, and one is on Melissa's car...if you live in a area where the roadsget salted, then it might be better just to fork over for the SS one.
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

thats what I ended up doing, got a 6in flex, the stainless spiralflow, magnaflow cat, magnaflow straight-through muffler, and im gonna hold it all together with collector rings. (I just gotta get a welder and learn how to use it [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img] )
        oh and I agree with you on the cat, but Im gonna use one, just for the sake of sound and legality
        <br /><br />[quote author="bwtucker"]two guys whose avatars are bent rods disscussing what to do with a motor that involves possible breakage can't be a good thing<br />[/quote]

Comment