Synthetic Motor Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Motor Oils

Ok, well I am rebuilding my motor so I have made the decision to switch to a full synthetic oil. My question is, has anyone used one of those "extended mileage" motor oils? like the 5000 - 10,000 mile oils before you have to change it. think its a good idea? I'm thinking of just using Quaker State Q full synthetic and changing it every 3000 miles.
    Village Machining Service
    Offering Big Bore Tapered Throttle Bodies, True Short Throw Shifters, Differential Pin Welding and Any Other Machining Service
    PM Me for Details

i dont think its worth it IMHO...

just get the standard synthetic, and 3000 miles, although i do mine ever 1500-2000

and once you go synthtic dont go back to your "normal oil"

Comment

You change your oil every 1500-2000 miles? Why?

--Adam
      2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

Originally posted by adamkob32
        You change your oil every 1500-2000 miles? Why?

--Adam
        cuz im picky like that

/hijack

Comment

ugh.

1.) you're not really gaining anything by changing it before 3000, but whatever floats your boat

2.)you can switch back and forth between synthetic and regular, or mix them

3.)make sure to run regular (dino) oil on a brand new motor for a little while to seat the rings before going synthetic

Comment

I do too...cuz I beat the piss out of it most of the time.

As for the extended mileage oils - that's bullshit. Oil acts as a suspenion for particles, those particles should be flushed out at your usual 3k interval, if you extend the service interval, you also subject the engine to extended running with crap in the oil.

Change the oil frequently, and it won't matter what you run...well, don't use parafin based oils.(Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc)
            LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
            visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

your oil last 3000 miles??

mines is usually burned out by then. But im getting that fixed soon
              Just baught a Big Mac, Throw some Cheese on that bitch...
              <br />
              <br />**i*14: i actually shot a bird for sitting over my car
              <br />
              <br />tool:
              <br />One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used
              <br />
              <br />[quote author="Schizzo97SC2"]what have we learned boys and girls? SOHC's are not fast. ever.[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah
                well, don't use parafin based oils.(Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc)
                What synthetic do you suggest then?

Originally posted by Ralliart16
                3.)make sure to run regular (dino) oil on a brand new motor for a little while to seat the rings before going synthetic
                Why? I have never heard of this before. Can anyone else back this up?
                Offering Big Bore Tapered Throttle Bodies, True Short Throw Shifters, Differential Pin Welding and Any Other Machining Service
                PM Me for Details

Comment

yep...parafin bases are best when breaking in new rings. They really are.

As for synthetics, I like mobil 1.

BTW - of course my oil lasts 3k.
                  LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
                  visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

ok? so run a parafin based dino oil for 3000 mines? then I can change over?
                    PM Me for Details

Comment

if my car was N/A with a oil cooler and mostley hwy driving with full synthetic --- I would run it for 4,000 miles

if I was making 3 to 4 hour ( one way ) road trips I would go for up to 6,000 miles

with my turboed car I change the oil every 1,000 miles or less just running regular (dino) oil ---- still lurning how to tune on a new rebuild this helps with getting the gas in the oil delution

Comment

yes, dont run a full synthetic on a rebuild until the motor is broken in.

but i have to say i have run quaker state full synthetic for 30,000 miles and all was golden. the last 4500-5000 (2 changes) were royal purple. motor didnt blow, was in an accident and i tore it down. i never burned oil till i put in the royal purple. of course around that time i just absolutely beat the shit out of my car.
                        Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
                        2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
                        2002 SC2-New daily
                        2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
                        2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah
                          , and it won't matter what you run...well, don't use parafin based oils.(Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc)
                          I believe the "n't"means not to run a high parafin oil. I could be wrong though. english/grammer isn't my strongest subject.
                          -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                          1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                          1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

After my rebuild, I dropped $5/qt on Mobil 1 for my second oil change after using dino oil for the first 500 miles. My car went through that shit so fast...I was a quart low almost immediately....and again a week later. Switched back to dino oil and haven't used a drop since.
                            -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                            -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                            -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                            -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                            -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

ive been using the mobil run-clean shit you know the 5000 10000 and 15000 mile ones...ive been using the 5000 for my break in since its not a full synthetic, its been good to me
                              <br /><br />I wont bow to something that I've never seen..........I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me....I'm not blood of your blood.....I'm no son of your god...I'm have no faith in your faith, still I find salvation<br /><br />[quote author="omgitselvisc"]im vinny's bitch i guess lol[/quote]

Comment