ENGINE SWAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGINE SWAP

Ok guys I'm having to replace my motor (spun a rod bearing at 59K miles). Its for a 2002 SL2 dohc. What kinds of upgrades or mods should I do while I have the replacement engine out? This is my first time trying to mod a saturn even though its my 3rd one. Any help is appriciated.

depends on your goals/budget. Start by listing those. Then we can help you better

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
      depends on your goals/budget. Start by listing those. Then we can help you better
      also do you have anything at all on it? i know you said its your first time trying to mod it, didn't know if you had something like an intake yet?

if you have cash there's some stuff to be done, like a ported and polished head, cams, header, cat back exhaust. theres lots of other little crap you can do to make it a more fun car to drive.
      98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
      94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
      94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Comment

I've got about $1k to put into it. I'm wanting to keep it kinda mild as its a dd and I drive 60 miles round trip. Since I now have two complete motors I was considering doing the dual intake cam mod (and since its a 3 gen head no grinding envolved). And possibly taking the spare head and trying to port and polish it myself. I know the 3rd gen motors have a lot of extra pollution controls on them that also brings down the mpg as compared to the 2nd gen. Is it possible to remove some of that stuff to increase the mpg so I can have more power yet not compromise my mpg?

Comment

If you have it apart the 2cam idea isn't bad, but for a better gain you may want to use performance cams.
          sigpic

Comment

And use a 98 or earlier head that has bigger ports on it. Get an ACT clutch if you want, a CAI, rig up an MS after you get the new engine broken in on the PCM, and buy a 50 shot wet nitrous kit. That's pretty much all ya can do. If it is an auto switch to a manual.
            Originally posted by dream36realms
            If you have it apart the 2cam idea isn't bad, but for a better gain you may want to use performance cams.
            You can do the two intakes if you want but if you want to follow dreams advice you need some way to tune it for perf. cams such as an MS or Safc.
            [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

eh, if you're doing an N/A build, stick with the head you got.
              -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
              -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
              -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
              -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
              -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

for 1k assuming you already have the motor

I'd go with shaving the head .040"
                SDA cams
                SAFCII
                Fidanza Flywheel
                full exhaust including header
                CAI

You should be able to get that stuff for about 1k. If you don't have any weight reduction done with good tires it would prolly get you into the mid - low 15's. Or you can just do the rebuild and get some nitrous, exhaust and intake which would give you some better times but then you have to keep filling the bottle.

Comment

also, it doesn't pertain to the motor, but some lowering springs are nice to have. they make these cars much more fun to drive since they don't handle too great stock.

and yeh, go with an earlier head, like 96-98 to keep it OBD2 compatible. they flow a lot better.

pretty much what i plan to do in the summer:

Port and polished head
                  port intake mani slightly
                  new rings, gaskets, and seals.
                  maybe SAFCII
                  98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
                  94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
                  94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Comment

The only problem with going with a 96-98 head would be that the head on your car is set up for an air pump. This will set a DTC in the pcm if you don't have the air system working properly. I don't know about in FL, but where I live, you cannot pass emissions if the SES light is on in an OBDII car. Just something to keep in mind.

James
                    sigpic
                    Click these links for my many projects
                    Shaved, Boosted, Purple Race Car
                    '64 C10 Build Officially LQ/NV3500 Swapped and Bagged
                    Soon to be bagged, LS Powered, '62 Impala

Comment

if you take the gauges out and use black marker on the backside of the gauges, it won't be visible anymore, [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dream36realms
                        if you take the gauges out and use black marker on the backside of the gauges, it won't be visible anymore, [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]
                        or swap ecus..

lawl.
                        - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

drop that car, save up more money, and buy a real car? haha

Comment

I already have a used replacement motor with 59K miles on it. It has the "sport" 5 speed. The county I live in did away with emissions tests about 7 years ago. I'm not wanting to put nitrous on it anytime soon. If you port and polish a 02 head will it flow as good a as 96-98 head? And no I haven't done any weight reduction (stock steel wheels [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif[/img] ). My tires are almost new so I'm not really looking at replacing them anytime soon. Also does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy parts? I want to replace the motor mounts but can't find anything other then stock replacements.

Comment

http://www.streetdesignauto.com
                              http://WWW.RONPAUL2008.COM<br />

Comment