Grinding stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding stones

I am working on a P+P for my head thats going on my high compression DD build up. I have a die grinder and some stones and cutters to use and started out this morning working on it. Holy crap do the stones clog fast and overheat, and the cutters aren't much better as they get clogged easily with the aluminum.

What kind of stones or cutting bits are less prone to clogging, or is just my technique that sucks [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img] . At the rate I am going thru stones I could of bought a stage 2 head from SPS.

John
    I got nothing for that

I have always used a carbide bit and a die grinder.

Your not using a dremel are you?

Comment

Nope I have a air powered die grinder I have been using. I think it would be a very long process with a dremel.
      I got nothing for that

Comment

I use aluminum carbide bits, and tootsie rolls (rolled up sand paper that is glued into the rolled up configuration and screws over a dowel) with a die grinder.

If you used normal carbides, have a stiff brisseled wire brush and grind into the brissles to clean the bit off. If you have heavy build up, you may need to chip the build up out with a screw driver or brush it with the wire bruch by hand....if you turn the speed down, it doesn't clog as badly since the metal doesn't get as hot.....also if you have some bees wax, spinning the bit in the wax ever few minutes helps prevent clogging.

Stones....just don't waste your time with them on aluminum.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I got a nice fluted aluminum carbide bit from Sizzam....man, that thing cuts nice. No clogging at all.
          And yeah, tootsie rolls and flap wheels.
          LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
          visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

mine must be the aluminum carbide also then becasue I have never had any issues with clogging up.

Comment

The ones on the top and bottom are non-ferrous (alum,plastic....) bits the three in the middle with the blades close together are a standard carbide, but for steel and cast iron.

-6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment