Header paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header paint

Just won a 91 header on ebay and I was wondering if you got any tips on how I should prep it before I paint it?
    im just gonna use some high-temp exhaust paint.
    <br /><br />[quote author="bwtucker"]two guys whose avatars are bent rods disscussing what to do with a motor that involves possible breakage can't be a good thing<br />[/quote]

Re: Header paint

Originally posted by neobudda
    Just won a 91 header on ebay and I was wondering if you got any tips on how I should prep it before I paint it?
    im just gonna use some high-temp exhaust paint.
    I bead blasted mine first to get all the rust and crap off it, then used exhaust paint. been 3 years now and still looks good.

Comment

yeah it be best to sandblast it. dupli color high temp stuff seems to work fine, but you want to bake it on meaning stick it in the oven but not an oven you cook with!!!!!!!!
      Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
      2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
      2002 SC2-New daily
      2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
      2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

Agreed on the sandblast, the easiest and most thorough method. I have used a small grinding wheel but it was a royal pita.

The VHT high temp header stuff is pretty damn good paint as well.
        1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

ok, feel free to tell me this is a dumb question but what exactly is sandblasting?
          I hear about it all the time but up till now, ive always just stuck with a grinding wheel.
          <br /><br />[quote author="bwtucker"]two guys whose avatars are bent rods disscussing what to do with a motor that involves possible breakage can't be a good thing<br />[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by saturnspeed_12
            yeah it be best to sandblast it. dupli color high temp stuff seems to work fine, but you want to bake it on meaning stick it in the oven but not an oven you cook with!!!!!!!!
            or put your header on after it is near dry and let your car idle for 10 mins...

Comment

Originally posted by saturn_06
              Originally posted by saturnspeed_12
              or put your header on after it is near dry and let your car idle for 10 mins...
              actually you want ot do that after it's already dry
              -Vinny

Comment

I glass beaded my turbo manifold, and then sprayed the VHT 2000 degree? stuff on there...works great, but the house stinks after you bake it on the oven.
                -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Fury
                  The VHT high temp header stuff is pretty damn good paint as well.
                  +1....that's what I used as well.

Comment