88mm pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88mm pistons

what kind of complications would you guys think i would run into if i run a bit undersquare at 88mm pistons and 89 mm stroke which is stock. otherwise from getting a head gasket made, i am getting the blocked sleeved, but other than that what would i have to do to teh head and what kind of calculation would i have to run in to to get the right compression ratio and dimension for forged pistons.. by the way this is for a high boost application.. about 30 psi something around the ball park of 500 whp... i kno torque is an engine killer, going taht big of a piston how would the torque affect the engine life compared to having an 82mm piston or 83mm......

Thanks guy hope you guys can help me
    I THOUGHT SATURNS WERE SLOW

I don't think you can fit that large of a piston. I don't recall seeing much over 84mm bore. Is the 88mm the 2.0l? I don;t recall. If you are going the forced induction route, then I would leave as much cylinder wall in tacked as possible. The thicker the stronger. This isn't correct, but gets the point across: For every .010 wall thickness lost, the engine losses the potentional of makeing 100more hp.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
      This isn't correct, but gets the point across: For every .010 wall thickness lost, the engine losses the potentional of makeing 100more hp.
      I was just going to put that up haha
      -Vinny

Comment

well from my understanding the block was sleeved for the epler program at 88mm bore.... i thought it was rediculous, but... i had teh guy recheck the bore size and th sleeves are designed to hold a redicoulous amoyunt of boost. im talkin about teh s- series motor..... LLO is my mission in life to create power out of it....i would never do that on stock sleeves

Comment

wait wait, epler as in jim?
          -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
            wait wait, epler as in jim?

sounds like it. I wonder if it's an ole project engine he was working on? Things that make you go ????????? [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_scratch.gif[/img]
            I Only Worry When My SES Light Goes Out....

I'm Officially in the 200,000+ mile club

Comment

the same block used saturn motorsports 11.2 second sl2

Comment

yeah the one that was for wes's old car

then it might very well be
                -Vinny

Comment

well then would things work out or would it just be a waist of money? is it possible to built or not? how much more work would i need to the head and getting a head gasket made

Comment

Isnt the specs for stock 82 mm bore and 90 mm stroke? (Making sure the info I got from Shopkey is correct.)
                    2002 Saturn SL1- 5 speed, basic, slow, and staying that way.
                    1993 Lexus SC300- Project turning into gold...

Formerly knows as "Saturntuner05."
                    Too many past turds to list.

Comment

The SMS sl2 ran 11.2? Is that the 400+ hp saturn I hear of?
                      www.cardomain.com/id/sp1k3

Comment

yeah this is the one that was brought up over on PR, supposedly was Wes's old sl2.
                        -Vinny

Comment

stock is 82mm bore x 89 mm stroke.
                          84mm bore is the 2.0L (approx .080 over)

I don't see any reason that the 88mm wouldn't work out if it's been sleeved. Go for it man.
                          LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
                          visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

well i went for it and i got a square motor i went 89mm stroke and 89 mm bore on a sleeved block and im finishing up everything to be on boost with the gt35 by jan. around 25 psi............

i got qksltwo cams,intake mani, ferrea valve train with oversized valves....
                            sleeved 89 mm block, crower rods....... tec2 standlone, sh*load of boost and a lil nitrous if needed,lol. oh yea i NEED axles anyone here know a cutoms manifacture of axles something to hold up 500 hp

Comment

Uber built axles are still a waste of money, a have a friend that runs on them, with a monster torqued intergra and he has annihilated them after only about 300 miles of blowing his mind. 500 hp on FWD is serious torque whip, maybe I'm wrong though. If good uber built ones exist, I'll buy them tomorrow.

By the way, you just convinced me to buy an SMS monster block. I can do a serious N/A now.
                              Fixing a Saturn can be like reaching into a bag of scorpions and hoping for the tootsie roll.

AMR coilovers w/pillowball mounts, AMR FTB, AMR RST, Quaife, ACT clutch, HR con rods with JPC max bore pistons, Thermal exhaust, Hotshot header, AEM CAI, and I just want to run around tearing my cloths off, screaming beligerently, and spitting, and twitching, and foaming; because its finally done.

Comment