Considering a Cat-back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a Cat-back...

Alright, since i've recently started getting some engine parts (intake so far), and I plan on an OBX header, MSD coils and Magnecor spark plug wires, I've been thinkin about a catback exhaust system. Right now I have a can muffler (doesn't sound to bad, but a bit raspy after 4,000 RPM). By the way, I have a 99 SL2.

So I have a few general questions. I was looking on saturnmotorsports.com and saw the Thermal and HKS systems. Does anyone have either one? And would a catback system get rid of this raspy sound that i don't really care for? And, is it worth the $500 for either one? I've also looked on the SPS website and was wondering who has the SPS cat-back system as well. Let me know your opinions, or if it would be better to just add a glasspack in place of the pipe right after my catalytic converter in order to increase some exhaust flow and get rid of the high rpm raspiness.
    HKS Cat-back
    0%
    Thermal Cat-back
    0%
    SPS Cat-back
    0%
    SL2 a granny car? Hell no.
    <br />
    <br />Corey STC- MI
    <br />
    <br />My Ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/682730

jsut go to your local muffler shop with whatever muffler you want and have em weld u up a custom 2.25 cat-back...save u some money that way....besides the piping is all the same

i did that and save an ass load of money and i love it
    Fucking Pringle bastards.

Comment

Dont bother with the SPS one, its a pile of garbage.
      07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment

If I had to settle Id pick te Thermal. Pacesetter fits OK but isnt worth it, just so you know lol.

I would go with the one that has a straight through end muffler design if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy97sc
          Dont bother with the SPS one, its a pile of garbage.
          lol I was just about to post that

I actually like the pacesetter better than SPS. given, we haven't had the SPS on Omar's car fail yet, but it's just too small

I'd go Thermal or HKS if you want name brand, otherwise get one made to your spec, you can even buy teh mandrel bends online
          -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by brokenheadz2003
            jsut go to your local muffler shop with whatever muffler you want and have em weld u up a custom 2.25 cat-back...save u some money that way....besides the piping is all the same

How much did you end up saving on the piping? And you don't have any of that raspiness sound in the high rpm's do you?
            <br />
            <br />Corey STC- MI
            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSaturn06

How much did you end up saving on the piping? And you don't have any of that raspiness sound in the high rpm's do you?
              depends on the shop, and now that I cought it piping is not the same.

there are different bend styles, all of which cause flow restrictions except mandrel bent

also the different quality metals that the piping is will effect durability (i.e. stainless, aluminum, mild steel, etc)

if you went for mandrel stainless in 2.25 to 2.50 it's going to be quite a bit of money and may end up paying the same amount. keep in mind you also need to supply the muffler and any inline baffling such as a resonator or glass pack or spiral flow muffler.
              -Vinny

Comment

O ok. I've been thinking otherwise. I'm going to get a high flow cat for sure, so would it be better for me to get a glasspack, and keep the stock piping between the glasspack and the muffler i have now, or would it be worth getting a couple bent pipes from the glasspack to the muffler?
                <br />
                <br />Corey STC- MI
                <br />

Comment

get all new piping, running the stock pipes are going to cause turbulence from changing volume amount in each section

you want to stay with the same diameter piping all through your exhaust system
                  -Vinny

Comment

i bought a dnx muffler from the shop and they welded everything in for 160 bucks...with mandrel bends...
                    i dont have much raspy noise in the high rpm i love the sound almost sounds like an indy car
                    its kinda hard to elliminate raspy noise in 4 cylinder cars when you take out the resonator, so just get a custom cat-back with the spiral flow in place of the resonator and get a muffler

in my experience glasspacks are cheap but are extremely raspy

Comment

Out of the 3 choices, I voted Thermal, solely because it sounds badass. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_twisted.gif[/img]

But I agree with getting your own made up for cheaper. Any exhaust on a 4-cyl is going to sound buzzy without a resonator in there somewhere. Mine doesn't have one at the moment, but I'll probably add one at some point. My car's all about stealth, and sounding like a riced out Civic doesn't really go with that...
                      - Justin<br />91 Sentra SE-R, &quot;The Millenium Falcon&quot;<br />91 Miata, &quot;The Otter&quot;<br />ex 95 SC2 (Locutus), 96 SL2 (Silverstreak), 96 SL2 (Apollo), 94 SW2 (Ninja Wagon)

Comment

also if you get it welded it may rust sooner. The clamps come loose but wont rust.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo96SL2
                          Out of the 3 choices, I voted Thermal, solely because it sounds badass. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_twisted.gif[/img]

But I agree with getting your own made up for cheaper. Any exhaust on a 4-cyl is going to sound buzzy without a resonator in there somewhere. Mine doesn't have one at the moment, but I'll probably add one at some point. My car's all about stealth, and sounding like a riced out Civic doesn't really go with that...
                          This may be a dumb question, but what exactly does a resonator do? I never really found out from anyone, and i know i dont have on on there now. Cuz i love the sound of my exhaust except for the high rpm raspiness, and the fact i have stock piping, but the raspiness goes a way a little after the car is warmed up, but still noticeably there.
                          <br />
                          <br />Corey STC- MI
                          <br />

Comment

i dunno how it works but it helps kill that raspy noise in stock cars...
                            shit when you get your cat back grab ur old resonator and cut that bitch in half with the sawz all and see whats in there

its probly kinda like a glass pack in there...fiberglass held in place by a baffel...but i dunno

Comment

i dunno how it works but it helps kill that raspy noise in stock cars...
                              shit when you get your cat back grab ur old resonator and cut that bitch in half with the sawz all and see whats in there

its probly kinda like a glass pack in there...fiberglass held in place by a baffel...but i dunno
                              Did the 1999 SL2's come with one? Because if it did, i don't have one, and it must have been replaced. I don't know if this sounds familiar, but I have about a 2 1/2 to 3 foot silver pipe coming off the catalytic converter, and definitely no resonator.
                              <br />
                              <br />Corey STC- MI
                              <br />

Comment