resonators, what to do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resonators, what to do....

SO, i have a question that i'm sure most anyone here could answer. That is, can i use a glasspack muffler like a thrush or something along the lines of that as a resonator? since those would only cost like $20-30. Or would i be better off buying an actual resonator?

because i'm not sure if something like a long resonator would sound better. though i'm more worried about how good the flow would be, then how the exaust is going to sound cause right now i have stock exaust with a big cannon on the back and it sounds great. let me know. thanks.
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

A glass pack, or in this case, the Thursh Magnum cherry bomb, will reduce noise noticeably and you will not lose much if at all any power due to a restriction. I have a 24-26 inch thrush magnum on my car where my pace setter resonator used to be and it quieted it down a bunch. Do not use the cherrybomb AS a muffler though, because then it wont be quiet and will look kind of stupid in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by HighEnd777
      Do not use the cherrybomb AS a muffler though, because then it wont be quiet and will look kind of stupid in my opinion.
      +1....keep it under the car
      94 SC2, manual, the whore that won't die
      96 SC2, auto, 146k, wife's car
      96 Formula, LT1, T56, T-tops, gas guzzling whore

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Comment

Originally posted by ace729
        Do not use the cherrybomb AS a muffler though, because then it wont be quiet and will look kind of stupid in my opinion.
        ROFL!!!! Like you got room to talk ghetto side pipe boy!
        2015 Ford Mustang - DD
        2013 Kia Sorento SX V6
        1978 Buick Century Custom - 42k Original Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Tek
          Originally posted by ace729
          ROFL!!!! Like you got room to talk ghetto side pipe boy!
          he didnt do like you did and put it "above" the car...oh wait, that wasnt done on purpose...LOL

Comment

with a roof-mounted glasspack it helps quiet the wind buffering from the sunroof down and it gives it a nice crakcle too, in addition to adding five imaginary horsepower. Personally, vynil (available at home depot, or for the poor kids take it off the side of your house) adds imaginary horsepower also.
            VTEC is like having turbo lag but without the turbo. Its like waiting for bad sex.<br />...<br />1993 SC2m- sold<br />1996 Jeep Cherokee- Likes to get dirty<br />1974 AMC Javelin-Underfunded Project Car<br />2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650- Keep the shiny side up.

Comment

thats not what I was talking about but ok lol [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

alright... i guess this has all answered my question. and now i know that i can have a nice crackle above my head and add five IWHP. sweet.
                94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
                94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Comment

Re: resonators, what to do....

Originally posted by punkboySL2
                  SO, i have a question that i'm sure most anyone here could answer. That is, can i use a glasspack muffler like a thrush or something along the lines of that as a resonator? since those would only cost like $20-30. Or would i be better off buying an actual resonator?

because i'm not sure if something like a long resonator would sound better. though i'm more worried about how good the flow would be, then how the exaust is going to sound cause right now i have stock exaust with a big cannon on the back and it sounds great. let me know. thanks.
                  I've had a similar problem. All stock piping, with a can on the back. I love the sound....until i hit the high RPM's where it sounds like an angry hornets nest. So i'm basically redoing my whole exhaust....new headers, cat, resonator, 2.5 inch piping back to the can. So i'm hoping mine turns out good. Although like you, I'm stuck on whether i want a resonator or glasspack...
                  SL2 a granny car? Hell no.
                  <br />
                  <br />Corey STC- MI
                  <br />
                  <br />My Ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/682730

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSaturn06

I've had a similar problem. All stock piping, with a can on the back. I love the sound....until i hit the high RPM's where it sounds like an angry hornets nest. So i'm basically redoing my whole exhaust....new headers, cat, resonator, 2.5 inch piping back to the can. So i'm hoping mine turns out good. Although like you, I'm stuck on whether i want a resonator or glasspack...
                    its header.....2.5 is gonna be too big if youre N/a
                    get the 91/92 header and 2.25 piping out the side...you dont need a muffler or cat

<br />
                    <br />2000 Silerstone AP1
                    <br />1998 Turbo SC2 (jackstands)

Comment

I plan to do exactly that to my car at some point. My old exhaust fell apart precisely as I had to get the car inspected, so the shop threw some piping together to make it pass - straight pipe from the cat all the way to the fairly open muffler that was on there before, no resonator or nothin. It passed, but it's mighty buzzy, and drones like a Cessna on the highway. The $2004 Challenge SL2 had a cherry bomb as a resonator, and an SPS muffler at the end. Once we patched up all the leaks it sounded pretty good. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

I figure the same thing, a cherry bomb plus a real muffler will quiet things down a bit without adding much restriction. I'll just cut out part of the straight pipe and pop the cherry bomb in just to the rear of the cat, then hook up the rest of the exhaust in back of it.
                      - Justin<br />91 Sentra SE-R, &quot;The Millenium Falcon&quot;<br />91 Miata, &quot;The Otter&quot;<br />ex 95 SC2 (Locutus), 96 SL2 (Silverstreak), 96 SL2 (Apollo), 94 SW2 (Ninja Wagon)

Comment

well at least now i know that i dont have to spend extra money to get a true resonator and i can but a glasspack for like $25. now just gotta go pick up some pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by pepperinyoureye
                          Originally posted by DarthSaturn06

its header.....2.5 is gonna be too big if youre N/a
                          get the 91/92 header and 2.25 piping out the side...you dont need a muffler or cat
                          Woops. I did mean to put 2.25...haha...yeah 2.5 wouldn't work too well.
                          SL2 a granny car? Hell no.
                          <br />
                          <br />Corey STC- MI
                          <br />
                          <br />My Ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/682730

Comment

IMHO turbos are the best mufflers.
                            -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                            1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                            1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I dont think 2.5" is too big for n/a, I think its fine, IMO.
                              07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment