felpro molded valve cover gasket install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• felpro molded valve cover gasket install

i just got one and i was told since its molded it doesn't need any sealant, just make sure that the old one is completely scraped out, but then someone else told me i still need to put sealant on the cover then the gasket. how are these gaskets supposed to be installed?

I'd still use at least a schmear of sealant on there to make sure it seals good David. some of that Right Stuff will work nicely with it.
    -Vinny

Comment

schmear.....

Comment

You're not supposed to need any sealant... But I find that to be BS..

I usually put the gasket into the cover, run a small bead across the head sealing surface, smear it on and then put it on...
        07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment

If you havea metal cover, use a thin bead on the cover and then stick the gasket to the cover. The silicone acts to "glue" the pre-made peice into place as you turn the cover over. Also like said before, a thin smear around the head surface is a REALLY good idea... around the plug well holes too. Also, but a dab right on the head/timing cover union.
          -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
          1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
          1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Yep...listen to these guys. I had a major oil leak in the #1 spark plug tube...cleaned most of it out and put new plugs in. Then I used Seafoam (not sure that's the best cleaner to use but it was handy) to clean the head surface and get out as much oil and sludge as I could as well as whatever oily mess was in the groove of the valve cover.

Then I took the gasket and installed it in the cover...then took some Permatex Right Stuff black gasket maker and put a good bead around every part of the mating surface. I wasnt even stingy with it...some spots accidentally got a little thicker than I had wanted, but as long as it doesnt interfere with any moving parts it should be ok. Then I quickly got the cover on and tightened down...hasnt leaked a drop since.
            1997 Silver SC2 Coupe

Comment

but it will never come off again
              sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
              - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
              ~The Used

Comment

Originally posted by therealm0rh0us
                but it will never come off again
                [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/plus1.gif[/img] right stuff = almost super glue.
                Originally posted by ECOtec Gods
                Consider this: 800 hp is a lot on a 2.0L motor. With 750hp, three-quarters of a thousand you're basically dealing with 6.14 hp per cubic inch. Pressures and stresses of all kinds thermal and mechanical loading across the board escalate to extreme levels. A Chevrolet 5.7-liter LS1 V8 with this much specific power (horsepower per cubic inch) would be making 2,137 hp

Comment

your avatar scares me

~The Used

Comment

sense we answered his question ill deviate from topic

your avatar scares me
                    want a hugg??? [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]
                    Originally posted by ECOtec Gods
                    Consider this: 800 hp is a lot on a 2.0L motor. With 750hp, three-quarters of a thousand you're basically dealing with 6.14 hp per cubic inch. Pressures and stresses of all kinds thermal and mechanical loading across the board escalate to extreme levels. A Chevrolet 5.7-liter LS1 V8 with this much specific power (horsepower per cubic inch) would be making 2,137 hp

Comment

It might take some work, but I'm sure a putty knife and a rubber mallet will crack that seal.

All I care about at the moment is that its a way better seal than what I had bone stock...which is to say there was no seal. I had a little bit of oil puking out of every side of the head and it almost filled up one plug tube. Now at least the front and back and driver/passenger sides of the head are clear of oily sludge. Plus the plugs are still bone dry as they should be. Looks a lot nicer than the mess I had before.
                      1997 Silver SC2 Coupe

Comment

I must be in the minority but I have used a little rtv and I have done it without any and both haven't leaked. As long as the surface is clean and your using the molded gasket you shouldn't need any except for where the TCC, head, and VC meet.

-Allan.
                        -Allan
                        Bought a 2001 Saturn SC2 new, sold it in 2008, bought it back in 2017. I don't know why.

The carbon-metabolizing physical presence that currently houses my conscious and those physical manifestations of my comrades all possess as our common residential abode the interior of a mid-visible spectrum double hulled buoyancy controlled ship of war!

Comment

Originally posted by AC66Bronco
                          sense we answered his question ill deviate from topic

your avatar scares me
                          want a hugg??? [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]
                          not from that guy

~The Used

Comment

of course its better to not leak oil
                            i bought the saturn oem seal and it pushed out and dumped oil everywhere so i used lots of sealer on it and it will probably take some work to break it but its not leaking

~The Used

Comment