My Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Intake

Since Mazda had a brain fart when they made my intake for the Miata I had to make some shit up

I tried a cone filter instead of the air box

but this is what happened:

It's RIGHT NEXT (by like 2-3 inches) to the exhaust manifold, so it get's hot

I ceramic painted the head shield and that acutally helped out a whole lot.

But then the cone filter after time and heat droped to touching the heat sheild

needless to say it got REALLY hot.

and the guys where telling me that the stock air box gets colder air than a filter like I had cuz they did some tests.

so I took it up a level,

I got my factory airbox and ceramic painted THAT shit w/ some black paint (looks nice and stockish w/ a nice shine)

and I painted it a lot

When Omar get's his job I'll get a K&N drop in filter to help out w/ the crappy air flow

So that's the best I can get, they really fucked it up w/ my intake and it's more or less impossible to do something w/ it, it bends consticts and expands everywhere.

there aren't any good intakes (just one w/ an extra elbow instead of the air box)

and ONE K&N one that puts an air box kinda like the ones in the new MIVEC lancers (preatty good if u ask me but not worth the $300 price tag)

So what u guys say?? Better right? [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img]

<br />
    <br />---Sometimes the choices that hurt the most are the right ones----

[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/ttiwwop.gif[/img]
    Bigger. Better. Keebler
    <br />
    <br />Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Comment

ehh not really if you read what he wrote you can get a good idea what he did.

Comment

does the inlet tube to the airbox go inside the fender or something? you should try and make something off that tube and down to the front bumper and put the filter there. then just pull out the stock filter and seal up the airbox if it doesnt already have a seal on it. then you could even do something with the tube from the airbox to the throttle body if you wanted too.

just anything you could look into doing. i know zetec owners have done things like that.
        Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
        2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
        2002 SC2-New daily
        2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
        2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

No man, Mazda made ANYTHING going into the bumper imposible, there is just NO space between the radiator and anything else.

My best bet is making what they call a cowl induction, where I modify my little snorkle tube into going outside my engine bay by making a hole to the side of my clutch pump thing and getting cold air by the windshield wipers

Not bad idea, I should read up more on it

<br />

Comment

Here is what I was talking about ^^^^

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dep ... r=05-27000

Looked at the dyno's and it's not that bad, just that it's expensive as fuck

$$160+

damn!

i'll probably get it lata on after I fix the suspension and power windows

<br />

Comment

pull the headlight [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img] hahaha but whatever happened to the idea of the motor swap?
              Ian---The Fat Ass

2002 SC2-New daily

Comment

^^^I wanted a 13B-REW and it's a pain in the ass to make it fit

Plus having 160 WHP is good enough for me (in my car that is way over 200 to the crank)

<br />

Comment

^^^W/ nitrous, cuz yeah 160WHP is a way too hard w/ my engine N/A

<br />

Comment

Thats what you get for buying a Mazda... [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_razz.gif[/img] lol!
                    2015 Ford Mustang - DD
                    2013 Kia Sorento SX V6
                    1978 Buick Century Custom - 42k Original Miles

Comment

Originally posted by TurboSL1
                      haha, i was like 160? maybe the bp-z3
                      Ian---The Fat Ass

2002 SC2-New daily

Comment

not really, I think it would be possible and not be as hard as you would think either.
                        -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                          not really, I think it would be possible and not be as hard as you would think either.
                          yeah they are starting to make more parts for the older miatas and older mazda rx7s. I think more parts will be released by 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by HighEnd777
                            yeah they are starting to make more parts for the older miatas and older mazda rx7s. I think more parts will be released by 2007.
                            what new parts Frank? Racing Beat carries ANYTHING you could possibly need for the Wankel. Only other thing I would use would be a Haltech and a set of Hasport mounts... I just dont see much being improved (parts wise) on a 13 year old motor.

btw David, The Hasport kit drops the 13B right into the chassis. The onyl drawback is the price tag. ~$800. If you are looking into a swap, I'd suggest a Monster Miata. You can have any reputable shop fab you up a set of mounts for a few hundred bucks. In the long run, it should be a little cheaper than the rotary.
                            Jeff W.
                            Old Fella Nobody Remembers

Comment

Originally posted by JazzyJeff
                              Originally posted by HighEnd777
                              what new parts Frank? Racing Beat carries ANYTHING you could possibly need for the Wankel. Only other thing I would use would be a Haltech and a set of Hasport mounts... I just dont see much being improved (parts wise) on a 13 year old motor.

i did some research for david a little while back and found that some parts are getting released in 2007 in america for the older RX7 models and older style miata. I guess they are just adding more to the market.

Comment

Working...
                              X