Going about the exhaust....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going about the exhaust....

Alright well my original point was to go for the most deep sound we can pull out a saturn...hence why I decided to go custom and am getting a 2 1/2 piping from the cat back to series 40 flowmaster for hopefully a lot more breatheing that the stocker. I was gonna tamper with the exhaust manifold and get a better one or get it cleaned or something but cousin was tellin me to go 4-2-2-1 from the header to the down pipe to the cat to the exhaust and having somone weld that for me becuz in his persnoal opinion I will not benefit if I jus do work from the cat to the exhaust....does anyone have any insight or have done a series 40 or custom jobs close to what I am bout to do with my 98 SC2?!?!?
    Out of all the Mothafuckas I know of. Yous the Mothafuckest
    <br />
    <br />Dont play by the rules, make your own and run your legacy, because it feels so much better starting one then being in one
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />RICE. Its whats for dinner
    <br />
    <br />

you will notice an increase in power with just a cat back system. Yes, it would help to switch to a 4-2-1 header design. Cheapest way is to get the 91-92 stock header and downpipe. This is assuming you have the 5 bolt header flange. I personally love the sound of the flowmaster exhaust. Some people on here don't. Some will tell you it doesnt sound right on a Saturn. I like it. I would personally go with a 50 series for a more mellow tone at idle.

and what Saturn are you talking in your signature???
    Jeff W.
    Old Fella Nobody Remembers

Comment

Originally posted by JazzyJeff
      and what Saturn are you talking in your signature???

Chipo

<br />
      <br />---Sometimes the choices that hurt the most are the right ones----

Comment

its a sc2 with 383 stroker in it....I have pics at home I will show you...with connections to the lights and some other modifications it could deemed street legal...lol...things amazing. Anywayz...I am stickin witht he 40 series but I do believe that I have seen a junker sc sittin on blocks down the road from my house and I am gonna see if it is 91-92 and hopefully bargain to wrip it out. I am assuming it sittin on blocks for the last three years its prob dirty as fjuck so how would I go bout cleaning them cheaply and then having a shop install them with the flange since I am not too mechanic friendly quite yet to do that myself...but yeh...im hopin to pick that up and then do the exhaust as said...2.5 in piping from the cat all the way back to series 40 flowmaster
        <br />
        <br />Dont play by the rules, make your own and run your legacy, because it feels so much better starting one then being in one
        <br />
        <br />
        <br />
        <br />

Comment

go with the longest glass pack or resonator you can possibly fit, that will drop the tone a lot
          -Vinny

Comment

I was told by the guy at the body shop that hes gonna take out the resonator and let it the piping str8 back to the 40 series...and then go with that for the deepest tone...which makes sense cuz when I asked bout the glasspack...becuase there is not exhaust minfold changes(yet) the way the fumes run through the glass pack with jus kill the effect of the 40 series...at least the way I see it....but then again I dont think he has worked on many saturns so idk....im not sure what to do as far as that
            <br />
            <br />
            <br />
            <br />
            <br />

Comment

it's not a matter of knowing saturns, it's a matter of knowing how the sounds waves will react and mature as it travels through the resonator/glass pack

the longer the glass pack or resonator will be, the more mature the soundwaves will be as they travel toward the muffler, meaning the volume will be a bit lower, the tone will be lower as the higher ones are removed or matured during their travel, and as a result the raspiness will be reduced if not removed.

by going with a straight pipe to the 40 series it will be loud and possibly still buzz. by putting a resonator or glasspack into the equation, it won't.

if you're worried about the resonator or glass pack being a restriction, go with one 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the rest of your piping

honestly, what you were told makes no sense at all.
              -Vinny

Comment

the glasspack would compliment the Muffler that is why we all use both
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                  it's not a matter of knowing saturns, it's a matter of knowing how the sounds waves will react and mature as it travels through the resonator/glass pack

the longer the glass pack or resonator will be, the more mature the soundwaves will be as they travel toward the muffler, meaning the volume will be a bit lower, the tone will be lower as the higher ones are removed or matured during their travel, and as a result the raspiness will be reduced if not removed.

by going with a straight pipe to the 40 series it will be loud and possibly still buzz. by putting a resonator or glasspack into the equation, it won't.

if you're worried about the resonator or glass pack being a restriction, go with one 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the rest of your piping

honestly, what you were told makes no sense at all.
                  alright AI understand that now...I think I am gonna have him keep the resonator at first and see if he will place in a glass pack...and see howit sounds...if not thats only like 30$ i thnk i jus wasted but I am def goin for one of the more unique sounds coming out of a 4 banger...unlike all the rice i have to submit myself to every day...i want no buzz....loud yes...but deep tone
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <br />

Comment

dont' keep the stock resonator though, that will cause a huge restriction because of it's diameter and really manage to mess up flow.
                    -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                      dont' keep the stock resonator though, that will cause a huge restriction because of it's diameter and really manage to mess up flow.
                      ever pinch you dick in the middle of takin a piss??? thats what it'll be like if you keep the stock resonator... get a $25 24" cherry bomb resonator along with the 40 series and it'll be a nice, mellow tone
                      Jeff W.
                      Old Fella Nobody Remembers

Comment

LOL you'd know right Jeff?
                        -Vinny

Comment

i've been thinking of getting an exhaust dump for mine, and sticking a glass pack on the end of that. not for use all the time, but with the dump open: header-->glasspack-->done. loud as fuck, and hopefully a nice rich tone?? i plan to have that done sometime before this summer. late april or may i guess
                          -Kevin<br /><br />&quot;Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!&quot;<br /><br />

Comment

Originally posted by dream36realms
                            the glasspack would compliment the Muffler that is why we all use both
                            I don't use any of those. And I did not use a resinator on Melissa's car and it doesn't sound busy. I use one morosso spiral muffler 2.5 inche and welded it in the location of the stock resonator, then ran a 2 1/8 pipe from the cat all the way to the back of the car. Its got a god deep sound to it at idle and is quiter then the intake past 4K.

Oh, not trying to center dream36 out, I just wantd to start my rant off of his comment, then contradict every one elses veiws too.
                            -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                            1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                            1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

OPEN HEADER,jeez
                              MAKE EM FAST,BREAK EM FAST
                              <br />93 saturn sc2 &lt;daily driver/weekend warrior&gt;
                              <br />http://www.cardomain.com/id/sbforever420
                              <br />95 saturn sc2 &lt;one of the cleanest 95sc2's&gt;
                              <br />http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/835977

Comment