AWD Turd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Road AWD Turd

The original gambler turd was good fun while it lasted, but alas, it was retired about 2 years ago when I couldn't justify moving it down to Indiana for my new job.

Some good off-roading lessons were learned, like at how the DOHC motor did not take well to bogging down in 1st/2nd gear spinning 28" wheels in soft sand. It did do respectably well having a Quaife LSD to help it crawl around.

So this next iteration will be done with my '02 SL1 that was formerly boosted/broken XD. Doing another FWD build would not be worth it, and sticking with stock TQ levels would also not be great either. With that, I went ahead and purchased a slightly crumpled '06 Subaru Legacy L.L.Bean with the H6/5EAT and 120k on it. I picked it up from an auction and got it back home for a grand total of 750 bucks . In the coming weeks, the motor, drivetrain, suspension, harnesses, etc. will be pulled and the shell is getting scrapped.

I'll try to get some pictures posted shortly. So far I've pulled off the engine accessories, harness, and the exhaust. This week's goal is to drop all the big stuff [Engine, Trans, Suspension, Rear Diff]
    Originally posted by Donnie
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Originally posted by BC. Livewire
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Awesome. Looking forward to it
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

This thread is worthless without pics!
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

^^^^^

He's got a point you know.
        Originally posted by alexofnazareth
        Do the world a favor and get back to your cornholing.

Comment

I'll start taking pics this weekend. I went bouldering on Wednesday and have never had my fingers be sore like this before. As a result it was hard to make a fist yesterday (and stop with those dirty thoughts, gentlemen).

It's occurred to me that I'll probably need a dolly to lower this junk onto to get it out from under the car. Looks like I'll be grabbing some cheapy casters from HF and 2x4s from Lowe's to make one.
          I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I ended up buying some casters, a 4x4x10 cedar piece, some flat stock and screws to make a pretty stout dolly to drop everything from the front of the car onto.

Still waiting on FCA to determine whether our group is Mission Critical or if we get to work from home. Should know by 10am today. It would be real nice to have more time to wrench during the week

Comment

Engine, trans, and front suspension are out. I'll work on dragging it out from under the car tomorrow.

Then begins the fun part of removing the electrical junk I want to keep from the car.

Comment

Suuuuubbbed
                -2007 Sky Redline 5spd M/T Midnight Blue
                -2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 king cab 5spd A/T brilliant silver
                -2007 Suzuki DR200SE 5spd M/T yellow/blue/white

Comment

Snatched the goodies out from under the car. The homemade dolly worked perfectly.

ill work on removing the suspension, subframe and junk from the motor so I have more room in the garage tomorrow.

Comment

Pulled the suspension and hubs off the crossmember. I started pulling the interior apart to free the harnesses and ECU. Subaru runs the damn fuel lines through the interior so I'm gonna have to pull up the carpet to get at it.

I'm probably going to use the Subie cluster and will have to adapt the turd steering column to the Subaru intermediate shaft/rack.

Let me know if anyone has some bright ideas with how to roll this shell onto a trailer once I'm done. I've thought about welding stilts under it with casters attached.

Comment

I'm watching this, too. I've always been curious about a AWD saturn.

Comment

why not buy a bit more wood with casters and just drop it on another Dolly to get it on the trailer?
                        Originally posted by alexofnazareth
                        Do the world a favor and get back to your cornholing.

Comment

I need something fixed to the undercarriage of the car because the trailers ramp is made out of angle iron pieces which would cause the Dolly's to get stuck.

Comment

Destruction of the interior is 99% complete. Just need to pull the HVAC unit forward to route the harness out of the car.

Comment

The rear axle assy is out. Just gotta pull the fuel pumps and figure out how to wheel it onto the trailer. Then it'll be off to the junk yard this weekend.

Comment