Interior Light Kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Light Kill switch

I'm trying to set up a switch that will kill the back lighting to the entire dashboard. I have blue led lighting for the entire thing, and want to option to black out the dash for long road trips at night. I looked at the wiring diagram and the purple dimmer power output line goes to the BCM and then a gray one goes out to the instrument lights. If the dimmer is disconnected the lights go to full brightness. So I'm thinking the switch should be on the gray wire from the BCM to the lights. Anyone with better electrical experience that could confirm this? or know where to splice in the switch. Thanks

Carson
    sigpic
    ~ Remember the Past, Embrace the Future, and always live life In This Moment

Add a second dimmer
    -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
    -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
    -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
    -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

I was thinking about that but I'm assuming the reason the lights go to full brightness when you disconnect the dimmer switch is because you break the connection, essentially going to infinite resistance. Would the second dimmer create too much resistance when blacking out the lights that the BCM would bypass it and switch to full brightness on the lights. I could very well be completely wrong on this as I'm a Mechanical engineer, and wires scare us. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]

Carson
      sigpic

Comment

The thing about a dimmer....it has infinite adjustment points....
        -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

Remove the bulds.
          -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
          1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
          1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Why is the dimmer switch disconnected?
            STC New England FOUNDER
            1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
            [quote author="TURRRBOOO"]Igot a pop-up that won't go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
            [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

The dimmer works fine. I tried removing the dimmer to see if the lights went out, thinking I could just put a switch in series with the dimmer. But when you disconnect the dimmer the lights go to full brightness not dark. I like the range the dimmer gives, I'm looking to put in a switch to black out everything for long road trips at night, helps the eye fatigue.

Carson
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LonehunterKU
                The dimmer works fine. I tried removing the dimmer to see if the lights went out, thinking I could just put a switch in series with the dimmer. But when you disconnect the dimmer the lights go to full brightness not dark. I like the range the dimmer gives, I'm looking to put in a switch to black out everything for long road trips at night, helps the eye fatigue.

Carson
                And the lowest setting on the dimmer isn't enough???
                STC New England FOUNDER
                1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
                [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
                [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

Most of the time it's fine. But I do alot of driving between MI and NY through Canada and spend quite a bit of time driving through millions of acres of farm land late at night. One thing I noticed when I had my 93 Cutlass is that when I turned the dash all the way down to off and just sat on cruse control for 2-3 hours it helped with the eye strain late at night. Essentially I'm just looking to put in a switch for those types of occasions.

Carson
                  sigpic

Comment

add a second dimmer, the second one will dim the output from the first one...that's seriously the easiest way to do this.
                    -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment