shift light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift light

i've got a gutted 97 sc2. i want to put a shift light in, but i'm not sure what kind i want. i'd like to get some opinions.

just a standard shift light

5'' tach with standard shiftlight

3 3/4'' tach with small shift light

i'm not sure how bright the little tach light is going to be, or i'd probably get the last one.

i'm gonna have some pics up of my interior later, but here is a quick rundown.
    radar detector center and bottom of windshield, aem wbo2 mounted right where that indent is in the dash cover. there will also be another gauge right next to, but i'm not sure what yet. they are going to be welded to the metal bracket on the dash. and there will be a small hole in the dash cover. my afc neo is going to be right where the traction control and rear defrost buttons are. i would like the tach right on the side of the stock gauge cluster.
    i want to be able to see my wideband, tach, and afc all in one shot. also i want to have it close enough to see all of them in one camera shot so i can go back after racing and watch all of them.

has anyone used one of the tachs with the small led shift llight?
    97 sc1-- DOHC swap, P&amp;P head, race cams, AEM CAI, geo TB, eclipse 4-1 header, lsd, act clutch, fidanza FW<br /><br />na<br />14.9 @91mph<br />50 shot <br />[email protected]<br /><br />forged motor coming soon..<br /><br />vids<br />http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/bo ... dewayz.htm

Personally I say go with just the light. A big tach isn't really necessary since you have one already, right in your face. Just position the camera to see it all. If you have your heart set on getting a tach, then get the last one.
    -Mike -MN <br />&#39;96 SC2 <br />Check out my website!<br />[img width=350 height=40]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage/976/stc_banners-oakdog8.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by OakDog8
      Personally I say go with just the light.
      Just baught a Big Mac, Throw some Cheese on that bitch...
      <br />
      <br />**i*14: i actually shot a bird for sitting over my car
      <br />
      <br />tool:
      <br />One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used
      <br />
      <br />[quote author="Schizzo97SC2"]what have we learned boys and girls? SOHC's are not fast. ever.[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by djgeo05
        Originally posted by OakDog8
        Personally I say go with just the light.
        thats the same shift light im getting
        01 Silver SC2

Comment

?? what is the purpose of installing a shift light? what benefit does it give you?
          He who won't read has no advantage over he who cannot. Repeat after me: Investigate. Learn. Discover. Ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by Vendetta
            ?? what is the purpose of installing a shift light? what benefit does it give you?
            you set it to where you want to shift and you wait for it to light up

no more watching tach.... as much
            Originally posted by ECOtec Gods
            Consider this: 800 hp is a lot on a 2.0L motor. With 750hp, three-quarters of a thousand you're basically dealing with 6.14 hp per cubic inch. Pressures and stresses of all kinds thermal and mechanical loading across the board escalate to extreme levels. A Chevrolet 5.7-liter LS1 V8 with this much specific power (horsepower per cubic inch) would be making 2,137 hp

Comment

i used to think the same thing, then i got a safc neo that tells me my max rpm. and sometimes in 1st and second i can't look at the tach long enough to watch it hit 67. especially if the tires are spinning.

i'm really leaning towards the big tach, but i don't want to feel ricerish
              97 sc1-- DOHC swap, P&amp;P head, race cams, AEM CAI, geo TB, eclipse 4-1 header, lsd, act clutch, fidanza FW<br /><br />na<br />14.9 @91mph<br />50 shot <br />[email protected]<br /><br />forged motor coming soon..<br /><br />vids<br />http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/bo ... dewayz.htm

Comment

i would have to go with the last one....its a pretty big tach, readily visible, and the light should be pretty bright
                <br /><br />I wont bow to something that I've never seen..........I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me....I'm not blood of your blood.....I'm no son of your god...I'm have no faith in your faith, still I find salvation<br /><br />[quote author="omgitselvisc"]im vinny's bitch i guess lol[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by 95SL2me
                  i would have to go with the last one....its a pretty big tach, readily visible, and the light should be pretty bright
                  its not huge tho, i am worried that the light won't be bright enough.. trying to find pics of it or a video

Comment

i thought it was an LED right...those suckers are bright...but then again you dont want a light that goes off and blinds you lol
                    <br /><br />I wont bow to something that I've never seen..........I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me....I'm not blood of your blood.....I'm no son of your god...I'm have no faith in your faith, still I find salvation<br /><br />[quote author="omgitselvisc"]im vinny's bitch i guess lol[/quote]

Comment

anyways... jsut listen to your motor...

Comment

Originally posted by saturn_06
                        You'll get a lot more consistant time if you get a light in there and your shifting at the same number everytime.

--Adam
                        2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

do the shiftlights need a controller? or do they control themselves

edit; NM I just bought one, lol.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by adamkob32
                            You'll get a lot more consistant time if you get a light in there and your shifting at the same number everytime.

--Adam
                            Shiftlights are great. I have had one in both cars for years. I did recently add an autometer tach to my SC1 as it is more accurate than the stocker but it's not a monster and I mounted it on the steering column in front of the oem spot, so no big ricer shit on my dash and the shiftlight is in the left airvent.
                            1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

right, i bet you won't hit the same rpm everytime, i am a fairly consistent driver at the track and when i checked my NEO after running on the street my max rpms are in the area of 6300-6400

Comment