installing fog lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing fog lights

so i've got the lights and the switch mounted, now the thing i'm having problems with is finding a good hole in the firewall to go through? HELP!
    98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
    94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
    94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Automatic trans: Grommet for the slave cylinder
    Manual: Either make your own, or go through the grommet for the engine harness.

This is how i wire up stuff at the shop.
    1995 SL2m &lt;- SOLD<br />1995 SL2a &lt;- SOLD<br />2003 VW GTI 1.8T 5M &lt;- TOTALLED<br />2009 BMW 128i 6M &lt;- DD

Comment

yeh, i'm MT, so i was thinking through the grommet for the harness, but i wasn't sure if there was an easier way, i guess i'm gunna have to kinda cut a hole.
      94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
      94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Comment

It really isnt that hard. What i usually do if its just 1 or 2 wires is i take a coat hanger and straighten it out (or use household wire) and pierce the grommet. Then, fish the wire(s) through.
        1995 SL2m &lt;- SOLD<br />1995 SL2a &lt;- SOLD<br />2003 VW GTI 1.8T 5M &lt;- TOTALLED<br />2009 BMW 128i 6M &lt;- DD

Comment

Take the ink out of a regular bic pen but leave the black neck piece on that tapers down. Then squeeze it through the grommet. Feed wires through. Done. Works great.
          [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

^^I would have never thought of that. I usually just shove a screwdriver in there to make a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by liamrh
              Take the ink out of a regular bic pen but leave the black neck piece on that tapers down. Then squeeze it through the grommet. Feed wires through. Done. Works great.
              hmmm, woulda made things a little easier, but all is well they are hooked up and bright as all get out, i'll have to get i pic in here

on a side note... go team venture!

Comment

Comment

i always make new ones bigger with rubber grommet so if i add something else its there, butlooks good
                  ~J~<br />http://www.myspace.com/12voltage<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2538659<br /><br />Lets keep all four wheels on the ground this time

Comment

where did you buy them from? also if anyone else has bought ones that arent oem, where from?
                    99 Saturn Blackberry SL2
                    <br />
                    <br />7/17/2006

Comment

I have used the old coathanger trick for years and just did it again last weekend when I removed my old oem driving lights and installed a pair of Catz I had on my Mustang.

I think I have about 7 wires or so piggybacking that harness now, without having to cut any part of the grommet.

Those lights look like they fit the oem spots pretty damn good.
                      1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

what size are they.. 3.5"?
                        99 Saturn Blackberry SL2
                        <br />
                        <br />7/17/2006

Comment

my problem with fitting the wires was that there was a small harness already connected so that had to go through as well.

those lights are 3 1/8". they fit pretty good, but would be better if they were 3.5". there is a gap most of the way around [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img] oh well, they still blind people and forest creatures in my way.

i got them from BP speed shop, but you might see them at any local auto parts store. they're Pilot pro truck series, go figure they work for cars too!

Comment

there should be a place whhre factory wiring goes through - cut some of that up at th engine sidei and run shit through there.
                            lawd it's been a long time

Comment