Harnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harnesses

I've heard installing them without a cage is a no-no because if the car rolls and the roof crushes you won't be able to duck out of the way. How valid is this?
    -Mike -MN <br />&#39;96 SC2 <br />Check out my website!<br />[img width=350 height=40]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage/976/stc_banners-oakdog8.jpg[/img]

hit me up some time and i'll show you how i mounted mine. Rock Falls Raceway's safety official approved it.
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

alright sounds good, I have several ideas for mounting them myself, I just don't want my spine crushed if I roll
      -Mike -MN <br />&#39;96 SC2 <br />Check out my website!<br />[img width=350 height=40]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage/976/stc_banners-oakdog8.jpg[/img]

Comment

Yeah Im also interested. You guys should come down to Sabin and that area sometime for the tintmasters events
        I like my cars how I like my women...shaved.

Comment

You do not need a cage to mount racing harnesses.

If you just take the two over shoulder straps, you can bolt them straight back onto the hole underneath the covering on the back deck underneath the rear window on te driver side like right behind the head of the back seat. Plan on using thick washers and a pretty big bolt and nut combo.

It is a hole made for baby seats to bolt up to, so you know they are going to hold if it was originally a safety device anyway. You want pics of my install?

Comment

don't know about him but I'd be interested in pics of your install. What about using the stock seatbelt bolt for one side and a custom made one in the middle?
            sigpic

Comment

you can also use the two bolts that are under the seats that the stock rear seatbelts use to mount to. rule of thumb is that you don't have them at more than a 45 degree angle, thats when you can get spine damage and be pinched to the floor.
              -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                you can also use the two bolts that are under the seats that the stock rear seatbelts use to mount to. rule of thumb is that you don't have them at more than a 45 degree angle, thats when you can get spine damage and be pinched to the floor.
                LESS then a 45 degree angle is what you mean, which means you CANT bolt the belts, for example, directly down from the top of the seat. THe bolts under the back seats I think are too steep, but I could be wrong. I never used a protractor to measure.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HighEnd777
                    LESS then a 45 degree angle is what you mean, which means you CANT bolt the belts, for example, directly down from the top of the seat. THe bolts under the back seats I think are too steep, but I could be wrong. I never used a protractor to measure.
                    IIRC, the rear seatbelt mounting points are right about at 45أƒâ€?أ‚آ؛.

Also, I'm not sure I'd trust the rear deck to hold me back if I were to get into an accident, but that's just me.
                    [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
                    <br /><br />

Comment

thanks for the pics. I liked the idea I think jazzyjeff had wrapping them to his rear strut tower brace. my concern isn't so much mounting them, but if my car were to roll if i'd have to worry about the roof crushing me. With the stock belts you would be able to move sideways out of the way but with harnesses you wouldn't

Comment

Yeah, I slid the harness onto my rear STB and it worked really good. And for the roof to collapse, it would take a hell of alot of force. I wouldnt worry about that too much. I started out having the harness bolted to the bottom of the seat bracket. It worked but would have sucked if I'd been in an accident.
                        Jeff W.
                        Old Fella Nobody Remembers

Comment

Yeah I think i'll just go for them. sc2sick how do you have them mounted?

Comment

Hmmm, In my '93SC2 I had my harness bolted to the rear seat belt bolts, it's about a 45* angle as Das Pirate said and I was in an accident, and they did okay.

As for the rear STB, mybuddy Jon has his like that but I really wonder if those threaded ends of that bar will really hold up in a serious collision. I also have doubts about the rear package tray working as well. I can't see that metal holding up under a serious collision, I would imagine it would just pull out of the metal.

Currently, my SC1, the damn driver side rear passanger bolt stripped to shit upon removal so I am using the upper shoulder mounted bolt for one and the lower for the other. It's not the smartest setup i am sure, but I know both locations were designed for seat belt strength.
                            1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

Originally posted by DasPirate
                              Originally posted by HighEnd777
                              IIRC, the rear seatbelt mounting points are right about at 45أƒâ€?أ‚آ؛.

Also, I'm not sure I'd trust the rear deck to hold me back if I were to get into an accident, but that's just me.
                              Why not, you have a better chance of getting hurt by using the rear strut bar as your mounting point. If you get hit hard enough and your suspensions gets damaged, and a few bolts snap or something, then youll get lots of slop. The rear deck mounting point has less of a chance of moving and then causing slop in te belt.

Comment