gonna be doin my interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gonna be doin my interior

over the next couple months i'm gonna be pulling out my interior piece by piece to clean thoroughly and i want to repaint it. going with a blue/black color scheme.

anyways, i got a few questions right now, probly gonna have more as i get further into this thing.

1. what's the best way to re-color my shifter boot?

2. for repainting plastic interior pieces, i assume i should go with an aerosol paint for even coverage, correct? and what about clear coating it?

3. how the hell do i remove the large plastic piece around my stereo and 2 center air vents? *edit* solved. thanks, tek.
    94 SC2, manual, the whore that won't die
    96 SC2, auto, 146k, wife's car
    96 Formula, LT1, T56, T-tops, gas guzzling whore

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Step 1. Remove vinyl.
    Step 2. Get paint job.
    Step 3. Continue with said idea.
    2015 Ford Mustang - DD
    2013 Kia Sorento SX V6
    1978 Buick Century Custom - 42k Original Miles

Comment

uh huh. that did not help whatsoever, but thank you for playing.

Comment

/care
        2015 Ford Mustang - DD
        2013 Kia Sorento SX V6

Comment

if you don't care, then don't post. simple.

anyone else willing to help me out?

Comment

#3...

put fingers in side air vents, there are little pressure tabs, pull back while holding them down and it will pop out.
            2015 Ford Mustang - DD
            2013 Kia Sorento SX V6

Comment

make sure to get a semi-flexable paint. and alot of it's going to depend on how your doing this, if you are going to use a paint gun w/ primer, base, clear - it would give you a good finish, you can always go the route of rattle cans, but the first and fore most item you need to be wooried about is prep, proper degreasing, sanding/filling, and primer.
              06' Ion 2
              09' WRX

...The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion... Einstein

Comment

unfortunately, i don't have access to a paint gun, so it'll probly be rattle cans.

what do i use as primer?
                (in case you can't tell, i'm a n00b when it comes to paint, lol)

Comment

I have never seen any plastic interior pieces that were painted that looked tasteful on a car (only exceptions being justin doing his black and cars with fiberglass dash work, but even those hurt the eyes). the glare from the sun is going to drive you fucking batty in a few days of it.

there is a place that sells shiftboots and covers for the steering wheel, PM saturnd00d, he has a setup from the company (I forget who it is off the top of my head, but I have samples of their material and it is good stuff).
                  -Vinny

Comment

don't worry, i ain't planning on painting anywhere near the whole bloody thing. i've seen cars with glare before from the dash and it ain't pretty.

i'm gonna be painting some of the small, low down plastic trim. possibly the kick panels on the outside of the fuse box, a few other pieces. but i sure as hell ain't painting the whole bloody dash. *shudders*

i was hoping to do this as an inexpensive DIY project while i'm saving up money, so i'd rather not replace anything. with that in mind, i'm wondering if that VHT dye stuff would work on the shift boot?

Comment

i thought mine looked almost professional...
                      Just baught a Big Mac, Throw some Cheese on that bitch...
                      <br />
                      <br />**i*14: i actually shot a bird for sitting over my car
                      <br />
                      <br />tool:
                      <br />One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used
                      <br />
                      <br />[quote author="Schizzo97SC2"]what have we learned boys and girls? SOHC's are not fast. ever.[/quote]

Comment

I would go to your local parts store and depending on your choice of paint, and remember you get what you pay for so if you use cheap shit you'll get a crap tastic result. But what you need to look for is Self Etching Primer, it'll prentrate the plastic and give you an amazing base coat, to get your base coat (color) to adhere too. a paint job is either made or broke in the prep work. so remeber to scuff the panel that your working on, and use a quality surface prep before you shoot a primer coat. the only thing with rattle cans is stlight veriations in color with multple cans so if you can afford to get an idea of how many cans you need and go to a parts store or paint supplier and ask to have multiple cans made. If you can afford go to a reputable paint suppieler and ask them to make you several cans, if you have a paint code to work from. start with good prep work I cant stress that enough!!!!!!!!
                        06' Ion 2
                        09' WRX

...The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion... Einstein

Comment

i got a paint code. some of ya'll are gonna shudder when i say this...but i want to use the same color blue as on the exterior of my car. which according to the sales department is Summer Blue. but according to the parts department is Aero Blue.

Comment

like sls said... The prep work is gonna make or break ur project. Make sure ur prep work it 100% perfect before u even think about painting things. If not, itll look horrible....

Jason

Comment

Look at it this way, if you screw it up you can always wrap the pieces in vinyl

Comment