pcm reverse-engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcm reverse-engineering

all right, it's about time some momentum started in this direction. it's 2022 and we still don't have a way to easily reprogram our stock pcms? the pcmhacking community has gotten quite far with ecus similar to what our cars use, and the gap isn't that far to bridge. we just need some effort and expertise from those who have it! i've got a whole basket of pcms (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen) and a strong desire to tune my saturns with the stock pcms. i also have decent soldering skills and some electrical (reverse-) engineering experience. if anyone has software reverse-engineering experience, that would be invaluable as our real goals are:
    • determine the format of tables stored in the flash image, and how to edit them
    • understand program flow and how to modify outcomes of stock routines
    • develop a convenient and effective flashing procedure based on oem protocols over the obd2 port
    read/write operations via direct physical access to the flash chip (exactly how the hondata solutions for the s-series era hondas work) have already been accomplished and documented. what we're lacking is the software side of things. and so, the point of this post... who's got software reverse-engineering skills and an appreciation for the s-series? i intend to continue pursuing the matter on my own but i am very much learning. :P
    rings - 1996 sl2 ll0+mp2 - purple and gold - my first car and former dd. rear discs and all the trimmings, will outlive me even if i have to cut out half the damn car and weld it to what's left of mimas. which i may, incidentally, do someday.
    phoebe - 1995 sl1 l24+mp3 - silver and teal - got me into wrenching. break it fix it dd it break it etc. perpetually in progress. breaking news, short gears + sohc makes for a hell of a tow rig as saturns go but it sucks on the highway. has towed multiple other saturns as well as a toyota avalon one time. i hear people buy trucks for some reason?
    janus - 2000 sc2 l24+mp2 - very sunburned red and purple - yes, sohc. hasn't let me down once since the day i dropped the drivetrain from a 2000 sl1 in. the ultimate reliable but comfy backup car.
    tethys - 1994 sw2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue, silver, and white - field rescue. it's getting a turbo or i swear it's gonna be a driveway ornament forever.
    rip mimas - 1996 sw1 l24+mp3 - gold w/ plum hood & jelly bean door handles - just a trailer now. worst wreck i've ever been through.
    pandora - 1999 sc2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue and that's it. bought it right as pandora's box opened in march 2020. work truck despite being a 3dr coupe. i never said that makes sense.
    dione - 1998 sw2 ll0+mp6 until i take it apart - gorgeous white swagon that's currently rocking a locked-up motor. "the next big project".
    penny/iapetus - 1997 sw2 ll0+mp3 - friend's abandoned project. loaner to another friend. just a reliable dd.

russel - 1991 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 i6+aw4 auto+np231/d30/d35 4wd - silver, primer, and rust - body modded 4x4 toy/welding practice -- no lift whatsoever! kicks ass on the trail anyway.

Hope there is some information and knowledge that can be brought to the table

Comment

I remember reading someone had reverse engineered the 3G PCM's but it was very ridiculously complicated - as in GM went out of its way to ream everyone discretely with some encryption. I believe the posts were on here... a guy named emailer33 or something like that?
      http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

Originally posted by leighv View Post
        I remember reading someone had reverse engineered the 3G PCM's but it was very ridiculously complicated - as in GM went out of its way to ream everyone discretely with some encryption. I believe the posts were on here... a guy named emailer33 or something like that?
        there's no encryption, the flash chip is just hooked up backwards. i forget if it's just the data lines, just the address lines, or both, but if you connect it to a programmer accordingly, you can read a clean flash dump and work from there. i will search for the posts you describe.
        rings - 1996 sl2 ll0+mp2 - purple and gold - my first car and former dd. rear discs and all the trimmings, will outlive me even if i have to cut out half the damn car and weld it to what's left of mimas. which i may, incidentally, do someday.
        phoebe - 1995 sl1 l24+mp3 - silver and teal - got me into wrenching. break it fix it dd it break it etc. perpetually in progress. breaking news, short gears + sohc makes for a hell of a tow rig as saturns go but it sucks on the highway. has towed multiple other saturns as well as a toyota avalon one time. i hear people buy trucks for some reason?
        janus - 2000 sc2 l24+mp2 - very sunburned red and purple - yes, sohc. hasn't let me down once since the day i dropped the drivetrain from a 2000 sl1 in. the ultimate reliable but comfy backup car.
        tethys - 1994 sw2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue, silver, and white - field rescue. it's getting a turbo or i swear it's gonna be a driveway ornament forever.
        rip mimas - 1996 sw1 l24+mp3 - gold w/ plum hood & jelly bean door handles - just a trailer now. worst wreck i've ever been through.
        pandora - 1999 sc2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue and that's it. bought it right as pandora's box opened in march 2020. work truck despite being a 3dr coupe. i never said that makes sense.
        dione - 1998 sw2 ll0+mp6 until i take it apart - gorgeous white swagon that's currently rocking a locked-up motor. "the next big project".
        penny/iapetus - 1997 sw2 ll0+mp3 - friend's abandoned project. loaner to another friend. just a reliable dd.

russel - 1991 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 i6+aw4 auto+np231/d30/d35 4wd - silver, primer, and rust - body modded 4x4 toy/welding practice -- no lift whatsoever! kicks ass on the trail anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ultraviolet View Post

there's no encryption, the flash chip is just hooked up backwards. i forget if it's just the data lines, just the address lines, or both, but if you connect it to a programmer accordingly, you can read a clean flash dump and work from there. i will search for the posts you describe.
          That would be great to be able to get away from megasquirt

Comment

Originally posted by axxer4200 View Post

That would be great to be able to get away from megasquirt
            there is a better standalone option than megasquirt, it's called speeduino and it's actually open-source unlike megasquirt's stupid "we're kinda like open-source but actually we're just as bad as the big companies about price gouging and suing people for copying our stuff" mentality. that said, we all can agree it would be ideal to be able to reprogram the stock pcms.

Comment

it does look competitive. sequential injection for $300?
              http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

Originally posted by leighv View Post
                it does look competitive. sequential injection for $300?
                yup, and the hardware/software is 100% open source so anyone can just start making the boards and selling them with 0 legal concerns.

Comment

Although I am still learning, computer science is one of my majors alongside chemical engineering. I haven’t completed the degree yet, but feel I have a pretty decent set of computer coding experience. Very familiar with several ILDE platforms, writing code and what have you. I may or may not be able to help?

Comment