TAM retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAM retrofit

Some of the ecotec engine mounts are a similar nature as the S -series TAM. I don't expect the bolts to line up, but i could procure an extra bracket to try seeing if i could adopt a mount. welding and grinding is totally in the question - thoughts? figured the 2.2 could have similar vibrations as the lesser balanced 1.9... i checked out toyota's but i didn't see anything close to drop in place (would be ultimate parts reliability)

i wish i was smart enough to design something to fit, but that is beyond my mental capacity.
    http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

The Ecotec mount is just as fubar as the Ion gauge cluster.
    Since you're having to customize it anyway, might as well make it so it use's an "off-the-shelf" rubber or poly bushing. I don't remember the full details on this but it was some standard ES bushing part number and fairly standard size metal bits.
    saturnmount.jpg
    2004 Subaru Outback 5spd
    1999 Mustang V6 5spd

Comment

im looking for the factory fit though, where it keeps engine in place but doesnt transmit every vibe like a poly bushing. The goal is replicate factory performance which is unmatched so far.
      http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

you can get a bushing that would fit and be softer than a stiff poly just gotta search
        1998 SC2 - Blue - Turbo Project
        2001 Boxster - Grey - Daily and unfortunately for dealer "under warranty"

Comment

I've always wondered about the ion/ecotec mount being made to fit. Planned to try when ours failed, but our ion has 116k and it's not failed yet soo...
          It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Comment

I buy the cheapo parts store TA mount and fill it up with Liquid Nails or a similar construction adhesive so it cannot collapse and movement is limited, while still offering some of the softness of the factory style...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Faktor View Post
              I buy the cheapo parts store TA mount and fill it up with Liquid Nails or a similar construction adhesive so it cannot collapse and movement is limited, while still offering some of the softness of the factory style...
              The more I drove on the stiffest of mounts the more I liked that style of things. SDA had a good TAM insert for a while that I really liked.
              Sixthsphere.com Owner
              2016 Honda Fit
              2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
              2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

The car I'm driving I also filled the trans lower mount and the dogbone gaps. The dash rattles a bit at idle, but at cruise it's smooth as can be, and the life of the TA mount is greatly extended this way...

Comment

Having picked up a SC2 and my SL2 both really needing a TAM badly I've started looking at other options. I found that the Lancer, Mazda and Astra seem to be the best possible units. When I get a chance to hit a boneyard i'm gonna grab a Astra one since it looks like a near perfect fit with a little work.

Comment