2005 Saturn ION 2.2 A/C Just quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Saturn ION 2.2 A/C Just quit

Been out of the saturn thing for a decade now. Mom owns a 05 saturn ION with the 2.2 eco. I had borrowed while my Truck is in the shop for a recall. They a/c just suddenly stopped working.

Checked the freon charge, pressure is spot on on my manifold gauges. The fuse, relay, and diode are all either good, or have been swapped with a known good relay/diode.

How exactly does this vehicle cycle the clutch? Is based on a temp/pressure switch or commanded by the PCM? Is there anything I can test without a real scan tool (i just have a code reader).

I was going to try and jump the clutch to +12v but I dont have any way to get service information anymore so I am really not familiar with GM's beyond the ls based trucks. Was a toyota tech, and most owned mazdas since I quit autocrossing my sc1.
    2006 Evolution 9 GSR - Misc boltons - Electric Blue - SSL
    1991 Miata MX-5 - Misx boltons - AutoX/Week warrior car
    2001 SC1a - Silver - Sunroof - Daily.

You can try jumping power to the compressor clutch, just make sure the connector is unplugged so you don't back feed the diode and blow it out.
    It sounds to me like the compressor is shot. Unplug the connector and turn the a/c on and probe the harness terminals with a test light. If you get power then the coil in the compressor clutch is toast.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment